Author Topic: 40 minutes is longest baby will ever sleep  (Read 1001 times)

Offline albesb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
40 minutes is longest baby will ever sleep
« on: December 11, 2005, 21:49:08 pm »
Can someone please help me.  My 11 week old baby will only sleep 40 minutes.  This is naps and night time.  As you can imagine, I am going crazy.  I can pat/shh him back to sleep sometimes.  At night, I end up feeding him because I am too tired to deal with it.  I've treid waking him 30 minutes in to the nap, but then he is just as upset as if he woke up himself.

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 22:27:10 pm »
I know these ladies will give you some very good advice, I am just here to give you some hugs........

From another insane from sleep deprivation Mommy. :cry:
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:19:51 am »
Is there someone that can help out at night doing pat/shh? At this age this is really the best method, for naps as well.  How many naps does he get during the day?  If he is only getting daytime sleep in 40 min cycles he is not getting to the restorative sleep which is the second 40 min cycle. (so you want the naps to be 1.5 hrs min)  This can lead to an overtired baby which wakes in the night.  It is that whole sleep begets sleep thing that BW people say a lot around here :wink:

Does he always wake every 40 min throughout the night?  If so, and if you feed every 40 min back to sleep, he is probably now waking expecting the feeds, and will not take as much at every feed. (this is somewhat what happened with my dd around this age :oops:)  Have you noticed the amounts shrinking?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05