Author Topic: Easy for 2 week old  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Gina(formerly sydnimom)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: December 11, 2005, 22:37:30 pm »
I'm tying to implement easy for a 2 week old. Any suggestions? And type with one hand... 

What did your schedule look like???
Sydni - 10/16/02
Brandon - 11/28/05
Gina@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Easy for 2 week old
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 22:49:56 pm »
no real schedule at 2 weeks - i think the main goal is to avoid starting AP habits like rocking or nursing  to sleep. try to establish the order of eat, change diaper/brief A time (can be as little as 5 min at this age or longer if baby ok with it) and then start implementing your bedtime rituals (if you want to start saying a goodnight phrase to lo, a lullaby, whatever will clearly signal "time for sleep")

make sure to clearly establish night and day by greeting baby at first waking with curtains open, show him sunlight, etc and for night feeds keep light off or dim and no eye contact or chatting so he knows night time is not for A time...

those are the foundations for getting things going - then you can focus on timings of feeds aiming for 2 1/2 - 3 hrs and building from there (3hrs if your lo is napping well and goes that long, 2hrs if you are BF and building supply and lo wakes for food, otherwise let have sleeps)

try to limit naps to 2 - 2 1/2 hrs each to ensure you get enough daytime feeds in and that longer sleeps happen after 7pm (if a baby naps in 3-4 hr blocks now, when they "wake up" in a few weeks they can end up with long stretches of sleep in the day and cause them to wake more frequently in night)

congratulations for thinking of this so early on and remember to enjoy this time with lo.  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Gina(formerly sydnimom)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 16:38:10 pm »
I'm trying to do that, but I'm losing my mind from sleep depravation... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  (see?  :wink: )
Gina
Sydni - 10/16/02
Brandon - 11/28/05
Gina@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Easy for 2 week old
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 02:11:43 am »
Gina

Do what you need to do to get some sleep.  I know you want to start as you mean to go on so just keep that in the back of your mind.  You just don't have to make yourself crazy with it in the beginning.  They are so easy to get out of a bad habit right now.  Actually I don't think they can even have a bad habit yet.  When ds was two weeks his A time was eating.

Do you have help?  You really need to sleep as much as you can while the baby sleeps.  Don't cook or clean just SLEEP!!!

At that point I just tried to keep him from going to sleep at the breast every nap.  That is easier said than done.  He was soooooooo sleepy for a long time so don't worry about it yet.  Being a BWer you will just naturally have him awake after eating as he is able to do so. 

I have a thread on the Two under Two board that is titled "Desperate for support".  You might go read that because I got great advice.  PM me anytime.  I know how darn hard it is in the beginning.  I'm type "A" so it was VERY hard for me to let anything go and relax.  I would be happy to help you with specifics if you need it.

Hang in there and keep telling yourself over and over "IT GETS BETTER"
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05