Author Topic: He's ORANGE!!  (Read 2149 times)

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
He's ORANGE!!
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:43:38 am »
Not sure where to post this... Allergy thread, maybe??

Has anyone noticed the pic of DS in my avitar?  His nose is totally orange, right?

Tonight it's worse.  His cheeks are orange!  His forehead is turning orange.  Yes, I feed him yellow veggies, but not all the time!  :roll:

I've heard that this is purely cosmetic, and that he's just fine health-wise.  But then I have people (who shall remain nameless) come up to me and say crude things like, "That child looks like he's got a case of 'high yella.'"  :shock:  Somebody else told me what that means, and it's EXTREMELY offensive!   :x

So, has anyone else delt with this? (The child who turned orange, not necessarily the moronic passerby with offensive comments.)  Will it go away?  I don't want to stop feeding DS yellows because they're good for him and he likes them.  Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Charlotte
Mama to spirited angel Josiah
May 8, 2005

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:45:20 am »
Does he eat a lot of carrots?  I've heard some babies react to carrots that way so you could cut back on those if he's eating those and see if that helps at all...

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:47:57 am »
No.  He's not a big carrot eater.  He LOVES squash and sweet potatoes.  I usually mix them with something when he gets them.
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:49:55 am »
my mom warned me not to feed dd too many carrots cuz that was exactly what happened to me when i was a baby - love my carrots!  maybe the same goes for the sweet potatos and squash??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:00:33 am »
Hello.  Lindsey did the same thing.  A lot of the stage 2 dinners are yellow and she ate lots of that plus her carrots and  sweet potatos.  The only green veggie she would eat then was peas.   Her doctor said it was not harmful, just meant she got a lot of beta carrotene.  People always thought she had such a nice tan. :lol:  :oops:
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 07:09:28 am »
yeah, it will go away. usually if i find sam's been "tango-ed". i stop feeding him yellow veg for a few days to a week. that means no jar food as i found most jar food got carrots, tomatoes ..etc.
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 19:16:56 pm »
DD was the same, loved carrotts, squash, sweet potatoes and corn, though she got them mixed with other things. My Dad actually thought she had jaundice but I told him it was her food, My Mom went mad and told me to stop but she loved them and the paediatrician said if I had no problem with it not to worry.

Offline kendallnangie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 19:50:15 pm »
Hi I am LOL reading your post. I have had the same problem with my DD it doesn't have to be carrots that she eats a lot of but rather foods that are rich in beta carotine. don't worry about it.  My LO loves all the orange foods and if that is what she will eat, then that is what I will feed her.
I found all this out at the ER, we went in because she choked on something and the nurse asked me if that was her normal color, I was like ...what do ya mean?  he said, well she is a little on the orange side. Anyhow I had the Dr. check her liver out while we were there and she said to just feed her some more greens. I gave her greens only for 3 days and it went away..needless to say it came back :lol:  anyhow I am sure you lo is fine, lay him down flat as the do at the office, and push slightly on his tummyall around. if it is soft then you are good to go, if it feels kinda hard, then take him to the doc. I am not in the medical field but this is what the ER doc told me, so anyhow I am sure he is fine, just feed some greens.
Take Care, Angie
by the way
sweet potatoes
squash
carrots
all high in beta carotine

Offline stressybessy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 21:37:40 pm »
I dont know anything about beta carotine but would just like to say your DS looks very happy  :D  and is a handsome little fella. I think the orange nose is rather cute and the pic will be a great memento for him!

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 19:10:27 pm »
Quote (selected)
I think the orange nose is rather cute and the pic will be a great memento for him!

Thanks, stressybessy!  I also think he's quite handsome!

And, thank you to the rest of you!  I appreciate the advice. (His stomach isn't hard.  Thanks!  I checked!)

I stopped feeding yellows to him for awhile back to control the problem.  But, one jar with any carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, or corn brings it right back.  I'm thinking, it's going to be so bad by Christmas, that DS could give Rudolph the night off this year!   :lol:  :shock:
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 22:28:48 pm »
THis happened to my little guy.  Dh and I kept calling him the oompah, loompah (from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! :lol:

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 03:21:05 am »
lol - very cute!  love the oompah loompahs!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 01:47:54 am »
DD always has a reddish/orangish nose.  I always thought she just had a bit of dryness there, but then started considering veggies when a lady mentioned that she must be eating her sweet potatoes!  It does get a bit annoying when people ALWAYS mention her little red nose, like I'm getting a sick child out in the cold or something.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
He's ORANGE!!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 02:05:48 am »
Quote (selected)
  I'm thinking, it's going to be so bad by Christmas, that DS could give Rudolph the night off this year!   :lol:  :shock:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Kate,