Author Topic: 3 months old today - will only fall asleep in my arms.  (Read 943 times)

Offline JLynn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 months old today - will only fall asleep in my arms.
« on: December 12, 2005, 04:23:01 am »
I only recently heard about the baby whisperer in the last couple of days and read the above post about the pat/shhh method.  Will this work on a baby that is now 3 months old?

Right now the only way I can get her to sleep is to cuddle with her until she falls asleep.  She also uses a paci. 

Thanks!
Jen
Mommy to Sarah - 9/11/05
Wife to Shawn - 6/6/98

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:42:33 am »
Hmmmm.... you could give it a try for a couple days and see if you can figure out if it's helping your little one sleep or not. I know with my first one pu/pd wasn't the best choice because she's Touchy and I'm Touchier!

BTW, if your DD needs to be held to fall asleep, it's also possible that reflux might be part (or all) of the problem. Once Josie's reflux was diagnosed and treated (with Zantac), a lot of her sleep issues cleared up and her Touchiness even got better once she could sleep better. If you suspect reflux or want to know more (I never knew babies could suffer from it till I read about it here! :(), go to the Reflux board and read the Reflux 101 post - just in case....

Otherwise, I'd just try the pat/shh to see if it'd work for you, and give it a couple days. Or... you could try the pu.pd and see if THAT works for you and go to pat/shh if it doesn't. It's hard to know just how a baby will react to a change in routine anyway. :?

Offline JLynn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:10:57 am »
Thanks deb.

I don't think she has relfux.  She hardly even spits up at all.  We generally don't have any feeding issues.

Tonight I actually just put her down and she went right to sleep!  It's been 20 minutes now and she has not cried out!  Not sure what I did differently but whatever it was, it worked!   :lol:
Jen
Mommy to Sarah - 9/11/05
Wife to Shawn - 6/6/98