Author Topic: What we do - what my mum says we SHOULD do?!!!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Cathy_twins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What we do - what my mum says we SHOULD do?!!!
« on: December 12, 2005, 13:11:33 pm »
Hiya,

I just wanted to post on this to ask everyone's opinion - is my mum right, or should I trust my instincts?

We have gorgeous identical twin boys who are now just over 6 months old. We have been following the EASY plan since they were about 6 weeks and things seem to be going pretty well.

They were prem babies (33+4), but were excellent weights (5lb 3oz and 5lb 5oz) and continued to feed very well and put on weight. In fact their neonatologist recommended early weaning at 12 weeks, as they were so hungry all the time - that worked brilliantly well and the boys are enthusiastic eaters.

We dropped the dreamfeed (very slowly) about 3 weeks ago and this is our routine:

7.15ish - the boys wake up and start chatting to each other.
7.45 - after getting everything ready DH and I go in and say good morning, have cuddles and do nappy changes.
8.10 - breakfast of banana & baby rice
8.40 - let breakfast digest in highchairs while watching Brainy Baby DVD
8.55 - bottles
9.15 - change nappies if needed, then cuddles and play
9.45 - nap
12.00 - lunch
1.00 - nappy changes, then cuddles and play
2.00 - nap
2.45 - cuddles and play
3.15 - bottle, then cuddles and storytime with mummy
4.15 - nappy changes if needed, then play
4.40 - nap
5.10 - daddy gets home and has cuddles
5.20 - teatime
6.00 - bath
6.30 - bottle, cuddles and then story once in bed
6.45 - lights out and asleep

My mum says that I should shorten the morning nap and in turn that will lengthen the lunchtime nap. Although we try to stick to the EASY routine I also like to try and be guided by the boys - they used to sleep for up to 2 hours after lunch, but now they wake up earlier and need a much shorter nap.

Should I continue to be led by the boys - they seem happy and are rarely grouchy in the afternoon (which I would expect them to be if they are really tired and not getting a long enough nap). Although I haven't been too brave about taking them out much (we tend to save that until DH is home at the weekends and go out as a family) I am hoping to maybe take them out more in the afternoons after Christmas, as I now think that they are older enough to start enjoying in (whereas before it has just stressed both them and me!).

If their routine gets changed, i.e. something wakes them earlier than 12.00 (health visitor, messy nappy, etc...) then we start lunch early. Although they will be tired and want to go down for their nap earlier they rarely nap for longer than 45 minutes now and it just makes them grouchy in the afternoon.

Any comments about our routine would be most welcome.

Thanks very much in advance.

Cathy, DH and the lovely lads - Jossie and Robbie.

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 14:36:53 pm »
Hi Cathy

No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say how absolutely fab that sounds!  I especially like the part where they wake up and chatter to each other, made me feel all fuzzy!  My instinct is that if your boys are happy and aren't grouchy in the afternoon then you don't need to do anything, if it ain't broke don't fix it!  You are clearly doing an amazing job already.

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Cathy_twins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 15:21:33 pm »
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for that!  :D

It is really sweet listening to them. Their cots are next to each other and they look over to see & 'speak' to each other. There are also loads of chats, kissing and cuddling with their favourite toys. DH and I are so looking forward to listening in on the monitor when the recognisable chatting starts - sneaky, but we can't wait!

We are VERY lucky to have such lovely little boys - it's hard work, but double the love and cuddles. At the moment the lads are good friends - they hold hands, play together (although sometimes the concept of sharing toys doesn't always work!!) and calm each other if one is feeling upset - long may it last!!!

Thanks again for your message.

Cathy xx

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 04:44:51 am »
Oh Cathy - that is just adorable!  I can picture them...

Well ALL the books say the afternoon nap should be longer BUT if they are happy in the afternoon and can make it until bed time w.o trouble, then i would say leave it.

If you find that changes, then slowly (every 3 days) shave 15min off the am nap and see if the pm nap gets longer.

Your schedule looks just great!  Keep up the good work.