Author Topic: 8 months and seperation anxiety??  (Read 885 times)

Offline mom2kaya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 12, 2005, 18:46:17 pm »
Well...my 8 month old dd has been a great sleeper from about 6 weeks until about 2 weeks ago.  I returned to work when she was 6 months and she does not cry when I leave, but at night she will wake up, pull herself up and scream at the top of her lungs until we pick her up.  After trying to cuddle, etc. as soon as we try to lay her back down she will repeat the screaming.  She will actually shake she becomes so upset.  If I lay down with her she is fine!  It is so frustrating.  Is this seperation anxiety?  How long does it usually last?  What is the best way to help her get over it? 

Thank you for your help!  I need her to return to her old self...including naps.  We have become a short napper as well during this ordeal - although at first, I thought she was just changing her schedule from her usual 2 -  2hour naps.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
8 months and seperation anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:19:48 am »
separation anxiety can last for months... the best way to deal with it is to give her lots of attention & play games like peek-a-boo. Always tell her you are leaving & make a big point about returning.
I'd say your return to work has made an impact...she is wanting to have a bit more of your attention. But it is also very normal to have night wakings with increased mobility etc... the key is to be consistent, esp if you have had a good routine, you should end up back there... there is no quick fix, just be consistent & show her you are around & DO respond to her needs, eventually she will get the drift & not NEED you as much... but it will take time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mom2kaya

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 19:37:50 pm »
Well, things seemed to have returned to normal.  I have just spent oodles of time with her because I was off for over a week for the holidays.  I will let you know.  Thank you for the encouragement.