Author Topic: Not sure what's going on  (Read 1042 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
Not sure what's going on
« on: December 12, 2005, 20:32:01 pm »
Jency has gotten on a pretty good 4 hour EASY for about the past week now.  There has been a couple days where it has gotten off and I still have to be in there during his naps to pat him when he starts to wake up at the 35 min mark.  But other then that we have been doing pretty good.  He takes a little bit of solids at breakfast and then at dinner.  I don't think he has associated food with hunger yet because if he is hungry he will jsut sit there and scream until I give him the breast or bottle.  THat is my first question.  What should I do about that?
Also, he eats 2-3 times during the night and then is not hungry in the morning and then in the afternoon he refuses to eat. 
That is question #2:  My let down has gotten slow. Why and how do I fix it?
When I try to feed him in the afternoon he latches on and then sucks for a few seconds and then will come off crying until I have a let down.  Then he will eat for a few min and then come off screaming then latch back on suck once or twice and come off screaming.  This repeats itself until I give up.  Lat night I nursed him after dinner because he was screaming (and even though I had fed him 2 hours earier and had solids he ate pretty well) then I tried to nurse him two hours later (which is his last nursing before bed) and he did this.  So I filled a bottle with 2oz of formula and he downed it.
What is going on with this?

He is 5.5 months old right now.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

annamum

Not sure what's going on
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 23:56:30 pm »
Hi,

First of all, he should still associate nursing with feeding, solids can wait, actually milk should be his main source of food till he is one. AAP recommends now to wait with solids till 6 months so you don't really need to rush with introducing solids at the moment.

If he is impatient with a slow let-down you may want to pump before you nurse him to the point you get your let-down and then put him at the breast. Now, you should be carefull, some babies hit a growth spurt at around his age, my dd had it when she was 5.5 months. This might also be a reason he is screaming because your milk production slowed down due to introducing solids and he actually needs a higher supply.

To increase your supply I recommend that you nurse him for a couple of days instead of offering solids and see how it goes. The nurse at night and then not hungry in the morning is unfortunately also normal though not desirable behaviour. If you want to tackle night wakings, wait till you sort out yoour supply issues/possible growth spurt, OK?

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
Not sure what's going on
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:07:10 am »
I am taking this week to sort out his day time stuff.  I am going to do a solid routine for the rest of this week (escept sunday because of church) and only give him a little bit of solids just because now he expects it.  But I'm  only going to give him a little bit not a full meal.  I am also going to cluster feed in the evenning to try and up my supply a little.  After this week (starting friday)  I think we will try to do pu/pd during the first half of the night.  Just to get him on at least a 4 hour at night as well.
does this sound okay?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

annamum

Not sure what's going on
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 20:55:06 pm »
Sounds fine.

How much of solids are you giving him? At his age one tablespoon is a lot.