Author Topic: 5 feeds enough for 11wk old?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« on: December 12, 2005, 20:57:01 pm »
My dd is 11wks and is not a great feeder (perhaps reflux??? - on Gaviscon), but last night she slept through (11hrs sleep, no DF).  This meant she only had 5 bf in the 24hrs, and I would say some of those were very small feeds.  Is this ok??  She is not a big baby.  Surely she would wake if she was hungry though? 

I have tried waking her at 10pm ish but this never works very well (small feed, very sleepy, no effect on the amount she sleeps after that, often difficult to settle again).

Offline deenz

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 20:59:05 pm »
Oops, I posted this in the wrong forum  :oops: !  Please move to bf forum!

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
5 feeds enough for 11wk old?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 14:34:37 pm »
Consider it done ;)

love
Marie

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 19:53:52 pm »
If they were 5 FULL feeds, I'd be hesitant to say it may be enough, if you were weighing her to make sure she's gaining enough. Will she eat more often during the day, or is she sleepy or refusing to eat? Do you suspect she may have a cold or getting sick?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline deenz

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 20:24:33 pm »
I did want to weigh her today, but can't - I've felt like this week her feeding has been getting worse.  For the two weeks before this her weight gain has been fine (on 6 feeds per day though).  I have an LC visiting tomorrow, maybe she will bring scales??  Most feeds are pretty stressful so I am resisting waking her at 3hrs (usually doesn't need waking though!) - between the first and second feeds of the day she is consistently going 3.5-4hrs.  Then it seems to get progressively closer together and the last two feeds are usually only 2hrs (sometimes even a bit less) apart.  She has had a bit of a 'gunky' eye on and off for a while - usually just in the morning though.  She also did have a bit of a cold I think a while back, but nothing that ever blocked her nose up so she couldn't feed.  And her nose wasn't running all the time either.  She seems ok at the moment.  It is quite hot/humid at the moment, which can make feeding a bit uncomfortable for us both!

annamum

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 21:17:53 pm »
I would see what a lc says, definitely get her weighted. 5 feeds seems too little to me and I would trust your mother's instinct and make sure she is really getting enough.

Not to scare you, vast majority of babies will wake up if hungry and will cry for food but there are few who are not asking for food and will sleep even when hungry. Talk to lc about your concerns and let us know.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 00:54:09 am »
And even if she's not got a blocked nose, if she's not feeling that well, her appetite could be affected too.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline deenz

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:21:07 am »
She slept til 5am today (after falling asleep about 7.45pm).  She was a lot more restless last night though.  I'm sure she was awake a couple of times but just went back to sleep.  (I didn't do anything to get her back to sleep).  At 5am she was starting to make a bit of noise about it, so I fed her then.  She then woke shortly after I got up at 7.30am but was quite happy just cooing in bed til closer to 8am (while I was getting breakfast for dd1).  So by the time I fed her at 8am she was already getting a bit tired I suppose, and this didn't help her to feed any better!

Nina regularly wakes at the 40min mark during naps.  For the first nap of the day she either doesn't, or puts herself back to sleep with no need for me.  For the rest of the naps I usually try to get her back to sleep by putting the dummy back in.  This usually works for one other nap of the day.  Do you think I should rather be feeding her?  Wouldn't this reinforce the 40min nap thing (which I am desperate to avoid as dd1 did it too!)?