Author Topic: what parts of EASY to realistically implement early?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
what parts of EASY to realistically implement early?
« on: December 12, 2005, 23:42:19 pm »
Baby is due in 5 weeks and I'm starting to think about what I want to do as far as EASY and independent sleep from day 1.  I know the first few weeks with dd, I just worked on surviving so I know that will play some part in things, but in general, what are the goals of early sleep training?  How do you accomplish that when baby cooperates?  Especially with a toddler in tow?  I read the EASY announcements above for little ones and know the routine of EASY, but what do you realistically implement?  Do you just put baby down at the last stage of sleep at first and not wide awake yet?  Any thoughts welcome.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 00:03:42 am »
I think part of it depends on the personality - Danielle was always pretty much, put her down and she'd go to sleep.  So for her "knowing" the sleep cues was the best thing for us and getting the timings right.  I didn't worry about EASY so much for the first week, but kept in mind that I didn't want to feed to sleep during the day, so we stuck with the EASY order as much as poss but didn't worry about timings, I woke her for feeds 3hrly if she wanted to sleep right through them (she often slept 6hrs during the day with a feed that I woke her for and she'd fall right back asleep during it or after a quick nappy change), I only worked on one naptime if we were having trouble settling her to sleep (other naps would often be in the frontpack so me and Nathan still had a life too), I picked one nap to extend (in our case it was the afternoon one when Nathan was asleep, so I had the time to work on it with pat/shsh as long as it took to buy me another 1-1.5hr sleep - our payoff being that I accepted the 45min nap in the morning (which works better for me anyway) and get a 2-3hr nap out of her in the afternoon.  I always did the catnap in the front pack in the first few months since it meant a top up for her to last until bedtime, I got to cook dinner etc (since that nap goes first, it hasn't impacted on going to sleep independently at all). 

Good luck.  :D  I've found a combo of going with the flow and EASY has worked better for me this time around.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 00:05:36 am »
This is what i wrote to Gina yesterday about her 2 week old little boy.

good luck and you know you can seek individual advice as you get to know your little one later on

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/easy-for-2-week-old-vt47612.html
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified