Author Topic: does not want cow milk  (Read 1300 times)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
does not want cow milk
« on: December 13, 2005, 18:26:26 pm »
HI!!  I'm writing this on behalf of my sister in law and nephew.  He is a year old now and has been bf exclusively (no bottle)  Anyway, his mom is going back to work now and they had been trying to give him whole cow milk from the sippy.  He spits it out immediately or swallows and then gags.  He has had other dairy products so she doesn't think it's an allergy or anything.  Because she is now working, the baby only nurses morning and night so she is worried about milk intake.  He has no problem with water from a sippy, just whole cow milk!  (She does not want to pump or rather virtually cannot at work)

Any suggestions on how to help him acquire a taste?  Should she be doing this at every meal?  I'm hoping for any help for them and for myself as I'll be in the same boat in less than 2 months!

Thanks!

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
does not want cow milk
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 19:41:24 pm »
I would normally suggest mixing the breast and cows milk e.g. start with 4oz breast and 1 oz cows milk and gradually make it more and more cows milk - but if she doesnt want to pump that wouldnt really be an option.

Other things to try would be a different type of cup for milk drinks e.g. a cup with a straw or an open cup. The novelty might help him to try it out.

It will just be a matter of persevering and to keep on offering milk. If he doesnt take it your SIL could always just substitute other dairy products e.g. yoghurt, cheese, etc and add as much milk to his food as possible.  He doesnt have to take much milk as a drink as long as he is getting other sources of calcium, etc.

Seona

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
does not want cow milk
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:16:22 am »
My dd hated cow's milk when I first tried it with her.  But I kept offering, whenever we had meals or snacks or while I was waiting to make supper etc.  She's much better with it now - still not drinking tons, but it's a supplement to morning and night bf's (which is all I'm still doing).  I make sure to give her yogurt a couple of times a day and some cheese to up her calcium.  So far so good.  As long as he's getting several servings of dairy a day, it doesn't HAVE to be milk.  The other thing she could try is soy milk or even some type of formula or other supplement if she's worried - he might take to those better!

Oh, and I use the Nuby soft spout sippy cup - dd never took a bottle and this was the best thing that I tried!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline india's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
does not want cow milk
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 14:44:49 pm »
Perhaps you could try Enfagrow.  This is a new product from the makers of Enfalac/Enfamil formula that is specifically made for 12months+.  It has extra calcium & iron and kind of tastes like a milkshake.  I'm pretty sure they would send you a sample if you asked (made by Mead-Johnson in Canada.)

Just an idea!   :)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
does not want cow milk
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 14:43:59 pm »
Thanks so much ladies!!  I saved the responses for my SIL....hopefully my nephew comes around!  As for myself, I'll keep this advice in mind when the time comes!