Author Topic: 6 mo. old w/ nap issues  (Read 874 times)

Offline angelique27

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 13, 2005, 20:51:46 pm »
My son has been on EASY since birth. Afraid I've created a bit of a monster when it comes to naps. Had good intentions but let my gram, who we live with create some props (walking, rocking) with him when he was younger. I should have intervened but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I hadn't really been trying to get him on a regular nap schedule until now, before just waited until he got so tired he conked out. Now I want to stop being a prop, as I usually walk him around and sing to him before he goes down for a nap. Some days it takes an hour of this before he gets sleepy enough. He seems to be a bit on the touchy side. (He sleeps well at night 8-6:30). At first sign of tiredness if I try to put him down after a brief wind down he screams. If I do pick up/ put down he still screams, isn't calmed by my picking him up unless I walk him into a different room and distract him. Of course that starts the whole process over again. The easiest time I've had with getting him to nap was a few days ago when I waited till he yawned three times, then started the wind down. He fell asleep easily with a little shh shh. So I guess that is the best way? I want to have a better wind down ritual as right now it is just me holding him and walking around, singing to him a bit. He won't tolerate sitting still or even being in my arms while i'm standing still. He cries if I do this and it just escalates till he is bawling. Help! Trying to do pick up/ put down but having my gram around makes it harder as she doesn't agree with it since he is crying a lot in resistance to the changes i'm trying to make.

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
6 mo. old w/ nap issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 00:12:58 am »
My lo never liked a specific winddown routine.  She would also scream when I tried to hold her while standing or sitting. 

What we ended up with was me carrying her upstairs with her horizontal in my arms, me saying 'it's time for a nap'.  Then I lay her on the change table, give her something to hold and chew like the moisturizer bottle or her brush, change diaper or pretend to change diaper for a couple minutes.  Then I pick her up so she's facing into me, turn off light, draw blinds, close curtains, stand for littleraly 10 secs infront of crib, lay her down, throw a blanket over her (she likes it covering her face), then I give 4 quick taps on the bum while I say 'have a good sleep, have a good sleep', then I leave the room.  We've done this for many many months and I hardly ever have problems.

Hope that helps, good luck, Tarri