Author Topic: Should I start solids early?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline lizzyb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I start solids early?
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:06:44 am »
Baby Sam is 4 and a half months and already wieghs 8kg - 17.6 pounds. Hes not a partcularly chubby boy just tall and big (he's wearing 6-9 month hats and cant wear 3-6 month suits with feet sewn in because his toes get squished). Hes a happy textbook baby.
He's been on a 4 hour easy for some time and is pretty text book with it except for eating.
He quickly sucks down 9oz every day feed and sometimes even cries for more but i dont give it (he calms down after a short pat/shush). At his 7pm feed he will take 16oz! He then lasts till morning and doesn't seem that hungry and will play in his cot for 30 mins or so until I go and get him for breakfast (another 9 oz). He wakes 2-3 times a night but is usually calmed with a dummy and a hand on him. The few times I havn't got him settled and fed him he will happily suck down a further 9oz!
Is this too much milk? I only recently stopped b/feeding so i dont know how much he had before. Should I give him a second bottle for his day feeds when he cries for more? Should I start him on solids?
He is just starting to sit independantly for short bursts so might be ok in a high chair.

Oh i dunno..... hes so confusing  :?

Offline lizzyb

• Showing Appreciation 0
forgot to add
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:20:44 am »
he can also spit up quite often during the day.... always has    :(

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:28:31 am »
If it were me, I would try giving solids.  But if he didn't take it well after the first couple of days, hold off for another couple of weeks.  It's recommended to wait until 6 months.  With my experience, it was wonderful with John, he took to it right away at 4 months...but with Zoe I should have waited.  If during the day he is crying for more, I would probably give it to him...babies stop when they are full unless they are using it to satisfy a sucking need.  :D

Just wondering...does he put himself to sleep?  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline lizzyb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 03:40:15 am »
hes not too bad at putting himself  to sleep....  when i put him down for naps two mins and hes gone. Hes now started getting through the 45min mark a bit more consistantly with just a few grumbles and no help from me. I've caught him up and talking to himself a few times at night and hes gone off by himself but othertimes he gets stuck and needs a hand.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 03:48:33 am »
Ok...just wondering if he was using the bottle to go to sleep but it doesn't sound like it.  He just likes his milk!!!  :lol:  :D  :wink:
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 11:16:19 am »
My Will sounds very similar to your little one being tall and solid. He loves his milk and nearly always finishes his bottles.
I started him on Baby Rice at 4 months and this week he has been having baby oaty porridge. He just has 2 teaspoons of the powder mixed with some of the mik from his normal bottle and has it once a day.  He absolutely loves eating the food and gets all excited when he sees me come into the room with his bowl and spoon.
Since he has started having this meal he has been sleeping through the night longer and seems far far more settled at night as he's got the caories inside him. He's had no tummy troubles either so Ive been lucky.
I can't wait to start on the veggies and things but Im leaving that till 6 months and sticking to the cereals for now so he can learn to eat and enjoy food before experimenting with lots of tastes.

If I were you Id go for it - if he doesnt like it or reacts bady to it in terms of constipation you can slow it down and try again another day.

H xxx

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 12:59:51 pm »
I would try solids if I were you.  My DD was taking 5/6oz every 3.5hrs, then she only took 3 every feed.  I was worried to say the least. Then I thought I would tried solids at 5 months. That was it.  She loves it and after her first solids she took 5/6oz again every feed.

What formula do you give your DS.  Try a hungrier feed if you aren't sure about giving him solids.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 13:44:24 pm »
jack did exactly that at just under 4 months - many times I remember him downing 12-15 oz and screaming for more!!! if you ask me, this little man is asking to be fed. he's a big boy and he knows what he wants - jack settled down within about a week of starting solids.

guidelines are guidleines. babies are individuals!
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Lici's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 23:58:41 pm »
I weaned Lici about 4 months - several reasons. She was formula fed and needed to get regular - so prunes were introduced.
And secondly she went from sleeping through at 6 weeks to suddenly being constantly hungry. She was an active baby and unfortunately is still a VERY active 3 year old.  :lol:
You can just introduce one solid meal a day and take a few months to completely wean - don't feel you have to have it done quick.
Emma
Mum to Lici (Felicity) 23 October 2002