Author Topic: HELP! Regretion?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
HELP! Regretion?
« on: December 13, 2005, 21:20:13 pm »
Okay last week I decided to try and get Jency to take 2 two hour naps.  I went in the 30 min mark and as soon as he started to wiggle I would start to pat his bottom.  That would do the trick and then every time it seemed like he would wake up I'd do the same thing.  All week he did two 1.5-2 hour naps really well.  Then saturday he didn't get his afternoon nap and then sunday he would only take 30 min nap in the morning but took a good afternoon nap.  But he woke up at 3:30pm and we put him to be at 8:00pm so we gave him a nap in the swing at 5:30-6:00.  Then yesturday (monday) he did the same thing.  Didn't want to take a long morning nap and refused and then took a long afternoon one and a mini evening nap (in the swing again).  I do the swing for that nap so that he can learn that short naps in the crib are not aceptable and it is so dark by then he may get confused.
Anyway.  Today he woke up at the 30 min mark and I was in there and started patting and everything exactly the same (the only difference is this week I was trying to put him down before he got groggy.  Last week he would relax and start to close his eyes and then I would lay him down).
So I did the pu/pd and after 15 min of crying he went back down for anouth 45 min.  Well now it is his afternoon nap and I was in there at the 30 min mark and as soon as he started to stir I started to pat.  Well he opened his eyes and rolled over and started smilling.  I ignored him and rolled him back over (tummy sleeper) and he started to cry and rolled himself back over and smiled again (no eye contact).  So I left to write this.
When he wakes after the 30-45 min mark he is all smiles and happy.  Should I go in even if he is only talkng or wait until he is crying.  Also what happened?  Any ideas?  I thought we had a 4 hour EASY down and was so happy :( .   What should I do from here?  We were going to start working on his night wakings this weekend since I would have been working on his day time for 2 weeks!!  We wanted to get this all worked out by Christmas!!
Help!!!!
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
HELP! Regretion?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 23:02:43 pm »
Hello there!

With my DS I wait until he is crying (or atleast fussing like he does when I know he won't go back down on his own) before I go into his room.  I figure, he's already awake so why not let him try and figure it out on his own.  My guy was never good at extending naps.  If he was up, then he was up!!!!  I found that his short naps were mainly due to developmental issues and if I persisted with what I was doing then he just got through it.  I would keep going in and patting like you have been to let him know that just because he is awake doesn't mean that you are going to let him get out of napping !!   :lol:  :lol:   Keep trying until the nap time is supposed to be over (it won't be so hard if he is smiley and happy ... it's always worse when they are screaming!!).  Hopefully he will eventually realize that he has to spend an hour to an hour and a half in his crib anyway so he might as well be sleeping!! 

I think Tracey's book says that there are always regressions, especially with little boys so just persist with what you are doing.  It sounds like you are doing a great job!  I hope that you are able to make it work by Christmas!  Sometimes, these lo's do things for no rhyme or reason and then just stop doing it just as fast!! 

Good luck!

Oh ya, I would check his A time as well and make sure that he is awake long enough before you put him down for his naps.  Maybe all he needs is 45 min of sleep (although if some days he does longer naps, I would assume that isn't the reason)
HTH
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010