Author Topic: PU/PD questions and sleep issues!  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Jujuyanni

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
PU/PD questions and sleep issues!
« on: December 13, 2005, 23:48:59 pm »
HELP!  Confused mum of my  6 1/2 month daughter.  I have recently read new BW book, after reading old one a couple of months ago.  At first I did not understand PU/PD from the first book and tried it once when my DD was about 4 months...she went histerical.  Mainly because I think she thought I was picking her up to take her out of bed.  Needless to say I wasnt sure what the idea was and abandoned it afraid I was confusing her. 

1. 2 months later and after going to a sleep clinic,(I wont go in to that) I looked up the sleep interview of Tracy's which better explained the technique.  She explained how it works with different ages, but I found that whenever I PU/PD again she would go nuts!!!  However by leaving her there 1 arm swaddled and patting her , letting her go through her 3 cresendos of crying she would be fine and start to drift in to stare etc.  Using this method I recently was able to get rid of dummy for night wakings, make sure her calorie intake was ok and we are having better nights as a result. (A few nights sleeping through till about 5.30am) Because I am not picking her up but letting her cry on her bed, Is there anything wrong in that? I should explain that she can usually go down independently, but when she is overtired we were having hassles and I found the above method worked well.

There are 2 issues I need to get sorted: (I would like to add that all of these problems were due to my inexperience (she had reflux at 3 weeks not picked up until 7 weeks) and Accidental parenting, I dont blame my daughter for MY mistakes...and I just want what ever method I choose to be right for her and consistent to help her once and for all).

The big consistent one of waking every 3/4 for daytime naps.  I have read your wake to sleep postings with interest and am currently trying those.  But I have a couple of questions:  If I go to pat her when she is still sleeping she will stir often open eyes smile, and generally goes back to sleep if I am not too late.  This extends her sleep to 1 1/2 hours but she really needs to go 2 hours.  Does that mean I go in again at 30 minutes after I got her off to sleep? Also if she does wake fully she is always happy, so PU/PD does not seem appropriate and by that stage patting doesnt work as it is PLAY TIME!  Can I just add that I have tried the above method with gentle patting on chest and she woke up crying at first, then very happy wide awake!!!  If I try PU/PD I end up by having a crying baby for the next 3/4 hr until I stop, when she would have been happy(albeit tired later on). I guess I am confused because she is not unhappy or crying, I just dont know what to do!   Once she is awake their is no getting her back to sleep in a hurry!  Has anyone else had this problem!  :? Also might I be better instead of patting (Since this is not consistently working), gently waking her at 30 mins to see what happens? 

Our other sleep dilemma is a 5.30 wake up. Now dont get me wrong I am thrilled that she is sleeping (about 3 or 4 times now but not yet consistent) from 6.30pm - 5.30am.  However  it throws the whole day out then.  She wakes happy and I try not to go in to her for about 3/4 in the hopes she may drop off but it never happens.  Her bedtime used to be 7pm but with her naps all funny she is too tired to last the distance?
Should I be going in at 4.30 and wake her in the hopes she sleeps longer?  We used to consistently have a 4am wake (until I got rid of dummy and used the above method and upped calorie intake) and if she stayed awake that time (usually 1 hour happy I might add) and then I would go and settle her, then we would usually have her sleep longer in the morning.

This is quite confusing I realise, but as with any of these things there is usually no one problem.  I am fearful that it has gone on long enough and will be harder and harder to break and I really want to do what's best for her.  Some people say that maybe she doesnt need the extra sleep but this cant be as she is so tired by the end of the day...we are just fortunate that she has such a happy contented disposition.

Please help and is someone has had success I could do with success in breaking a long nap problem I would be grateful to hear it, really need some encouragement now.

Mum to Sienna - My beautiful Textbook/Spirited daugher. (And getting more spirted everyday)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:41:49 am »
Hi, i am printing your post just now and hope to have some tips for you shortly.  Hang in there. :wink:

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 19:25:19 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Great job on getting rid of the dummy and night wakings!

I agree, pick one method and be consistent...hey and us first time mommy's are all learning here  :wink:

Let me see if we can help.

Quote (selected)
The big consistent one of waking every 3/4 for daytime naps.
What do you mean here? waking every 45min mins or 3 out of 4 naps?

So from what you have posted, you have been able to extend her naps to 1 1/2 hrs - that is excellent!  I was never able to get 2hr naps consistenly and if your dc wakes up happy ... can make it to the next nap w/o tooo much trouble then IMO the 1 1/2 nap is fine.

Quote (selected)
Once she is awake their is no getting her back to sleep in a hurry! Has anyone else had this problem!
  Yes we had this problem too!

Quote (selected)
Also might I be better instead of patting (Since this is not consistently working), gently waking her at 30 mins to see what happens?
  You could try that, but wake to sleep doesn't mean WAKE HER UP...everyone uses this tech differently but when i say awake to sleep, i mean go in 5-10min before they normal wake and disrupt the sleep cycle in hopes it will start again and you get a longer nap.  I have used 'wake to sleep" many times during our nap struggles w/ success.

I'll send you a PM on early rising and yes you can also try going in 15min before 5.30 and using wake to sleep.  If that doesn't work use the methods in the notes i am sending.

Hope that helps.