Author Topic: 2 to 1 nap problems  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 to 1 nap problems
« on: December 14, 2005, 12:10:29 pm »
DS nap schedule was getting more and more difficult over the last 2 months (he's now 13.5 months) but I didn't want to move to 1 nap until he slept later in the mornings. His usual sleep schedule was
wake 6.15
nap 10.30 - 11.45
nap 3.30 - 4.30
sleep 7.45
He has always been an early riser and loved his morning nap  (which was as you can see was moving later and later) but we struggled with an afternoon nap (even though he was shattered) and consequently bedtime. I was waking him from his morning nap. If I didn't he would sleep for a couple of hours. For a few weeks he was fightiing his PM nap for ages and flaking out at 5pm. So I began to allow him to sleep only for 30 mins at around 4.45pm. Consequently he started sleeping through the night from 7.45pm until 7am. This went on for a few days so I thought I could start moving his morning nap a bit to see if he could manage with 1 nap. At first we had a few days of sleeping from 11.30 am for 2 hours. I'd then put him to bed for 6.30pm and surprisingly he'd sleep til 6.30 am. He's never slept 12 hours before. He's been a 10.5 hour owl since he was 7 months. After a few days I started giving him his lunch at 11.30am and he was asleep by 12.30 for 2 hours. Bedtime moved back to 7.30pm and he'd sleep until 6.30 - 7.00am which was fine. This lasted about a week and he seemed a much happier baby. He still is. He is far more content during the day and goes to sleep without any fuss and wakes from sleep in a good mood. My only problem is that his am waking is getting earlier and earlier again over the last few days. This morning he was awake at 5.30 after 10 hours sleep. I left him in his cot for 45 mins hoping he would go back to sleep. He wasn't crying at all, just amusing himself. He got a bit bored after 45 mins which is when we really started our day. He has been good humoured all morning but I put him to bed at 11.30 am and will give him lunch when he wakes. Have I moved to early to 1 nap or am I worrying about nothing? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I didn't sleep much at all as a child and it's important to me that he's getting enough shut eye.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
2 to 1 nap problems
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:45:33 am »
Hi -  Everything sounds like you have made the 2 to 1 move at the right time - especially since he is sleeping longer in the am then ever before.  I would keep being consistent w/ your selected start time and see how it goes.

Sorry, i can't think of anything else.

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 to 1 nap problems
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:48:41 am »
Thanks for that. Could it be that DS just is an early riser and likes his 10.5 hr nightime sleep? After being up at 5.30am yesterday he had a nap at 11.30 til 2pm and lunch when he woke. Asleep at 7.30pm and up this morning at 6am. He is fully rested. I just don't know when to nap him and when to give him lunch. Lunch any earlier than 11.30 seems too early but if he's up at 6am I don't want him having a nap any later than 12 do I? Is 2pm lunch after nap too late?
Sorry to ramble,
Tammi

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
2 to 1 nap problems
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 17:01:11 pm »
Quote (selected)
Could it be that DS just is an early riser and likes his 10.5 hr nightime sleep?
He is not that far off the averages @ 12months
night - 11 1/4
naps - 2 1/2 (2 naps)
total = 13 3/4

Is nap lenghts are great, perfect in fact!  I would aim for nap about 5.5-6.5hr after waking if he can take it...this is what my LO does.  It may take time to get there.  I know some mom's give 1/2 lunch before nap and 1/2 after, so 11.30 and 2.00 in your case would be great.

You are doubting yourself, but everything you are doing sounds great!  Keep up the good work and let us know how you get on.  :D