Author Topic: what else can I do?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline PaolaG

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 14, 2005, 19:41:57 pm »
hi all.  My daughter Lea is 4 months (born 8 August).  Our problem is that she still wakes at least once and more often twice a night for feeding, by which I mean between 7pm and 7am.  During the day she feeds every 4 hours and seems pretty comfortable with that. 
Her day starts at a different time each morning, but normally she wakes between  7.30 and 8.30am. She doesn't need to be fed instantly.  She has a bath at around 6.30pm, a last feed before bed at around 7pm, and then she happily goes to sleep by herself ( I don't feed her to sleep).
In the night, her eating is very erratic.  I haven't been giving a dreamfeed because when I tried, it didn't seem to reduce her night wakings.  At her best she can go 6 to 7 hours betwen feeds (she did 8 hours once!), and at worst is 3 or 3.5 hours between feeds.  So when she goes off to sleep at 7pm, I really don't know if I will be feeding next her at 11pm or at 2am.
Should I try dreamfeeding again?  At the moment I am just not convinced by it, because when I do feed her at around 11 or 11.30pm, she often only goes 3 or 4 hours to the next feed.  Our best nights are when she goes from 7pm to 2 or 3 am, and then to 7 or 8am.
a bit confused, and wanting more night sleep.
Paola

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
what else can I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:24:59 am »
At 4mo it is very reasonable to have 2 feeds between 7pm & 7am. The fact she isn't waking at the same time & does go a longer stretch says to me she needs it. I know some people who do a df (i don't as I like to get to bed early) say it can take about a week (sometimes more) before it kicks in, so you would need to keep doing it for at least a week to see if it works.
I would say your dd is actually doing great if she sometimes does 1 feed in that time & then goes until 7.30 or even 8.30
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
what else can I do?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:29:01 am »
My ds is only 6 days older than your daughter, and I know exactly where you are coming from!  Does she take a soother?  That has been the only way to get around our 2 night wakings.  Pat/sh and pu/pd just made him more worked up!  So now I feed him at his first waking, and, if there is another one, use the soother to calm him.  Now he'll generally eat around 11:00, and go until 6 or 7 am.  I think that's pretty good for this age from what I've read.
I was also told that dreamfeeding can take a couple weeks before it really helps reduce the other night wakings.
HTH
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er