Author Topic: No mushy food pls.......I'm a big boy now!!!  (Read 1259 times)

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
No mushy food pls.......I'm a big boy now!!!
« on: December 14, 2005, 22:38:36 pm »
DS will be 1 on Boxing Day and has suddenly started to refuse to be spoon fed.  We're Chinese and generally don't 'do' finger foods, but spoon feed our LOs cooked rice.  From quite early on I did offer him finger foods but never really had any luck with it but suddenly not only does he 'get' it but it's the only way he'll eat!  I'm finding this kind of diet very limiting though as I've absolutely no idea what kind of finger meals to put together and was wondering if some of you lovely ladies here could throw some ideas my way.

Thanks for your help.

Ivy

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 03:47:51 am »
Hi Ivy:

The thing with finger foods is that depending on what you are willing to tolerate in the way of messiness you have a full cupboard of finger food.  DS will eat almost everything we eat (not spicy though or cheese), from mashed potatoes to rice on his own.  the only thing he still eats from a spoon from me is his baby cereal in the morning.  SIL's 1 year old dd though won't even eat that from a spoon.

Try .... toast, dry cereals, cheese cubes (small), rice, peas, corn .... anything you can imagine.  Cut them up small at first as you might have a crammer like I do (he crams so much into his mouth if he can that he gags sometimes) and let him go to it.

HTH
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

stasztk

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:41:30 am »
Good to see you posting again Ivy.  I think you got perfect advice from Beth.

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:48:48 am »
Yesterday, I discovered that Aidan WILL actually eat from the spoon.  I made up tea consisting of peas and potato, carrot and chicken cubes.  I placed some on his tray which he played around with.  I then offered him some on the spoon which was declined.  I then picked up a cube in my fingers and offered it to him.  He ate that and it seems that when he found out that the food wasn't mushy, he accepted my next offer of the spoon. 

I'm not a very good person with mess I'm afraid.  I've seen a couple of TV programs where kids have eating problems coz they associate it with dirt coz their parents were always wiping their hands/faces when they made a mess with food.  Of course we want to avoid that but still want Aidan to learn self-feeding so I do offer him chunks of food which he can hold in his hands and feed himself (with mess at what I consider an acceptable level) so he'll still learn the concept but I don't think I'll be able to cope with him feeding himself smaller bits or things like mash potato.

Teresa, thanks again for your support, advice and words of wisdom.  Everything has calmed down and we're seeing a huge improvement.  <<HUGS>>