Author Topic: pls reassure me bf is more portable than it sounds  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
pls reassure me bf is more portable than it sounds
« on: December 15, 2005, 03:55:12 am »
Okay so I have to be honest here.  I want to want to breastfeed.  I really do.  And part of me does want to.  But part of me also knows that bottle feeding is so much easier in that dh can take a night waking or I can go out for more than 2 hours between feedings...but I also know that pumping is an option.  Please reassure me that you get used to the pumping and scheduling and that breastfeeding can be portable even for those of us very modest people.  I know it's best for baby so you don't have to convince me or anything and I really do want to give it my best shot, even knowing the issues I had the first time, but part of me thinks it's just so much harder, especially in the beginning with the frequency of feedings and having to do it all yourself cause dh can't.  Thoughts???

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:10:12 am »
For the first month I'd plan on being at home for feeds as much as possible if Bfing, just so you and baby can get to know each other w/fewer distractions. After that, though, once you have your system worked out, go for it!

I know many moms can feed under a blanket over their shoulder - I am NOT one of those moms! (at least not once baby starts to learn to wiggle LOL) I just find as discreet a place and position as I can and go for it. I figure it's legal (at least here in the States), I'm being as discreet as I can and still nurse, and hey, THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR!!! :lol:

Once we hit a month or two old, I could start to sit Josie and Nat in my lap to nurse and they'd do most of the latch-on work for me, so it did get easier. And while they took bottles, I could give them EBM, formula, or a mix if needed - sadly, when Nat got sick she nursed so much and never went back to taking bottles, but maybe if you can keep it up you can stretch it out. With Josie I'd pump every night around her bedtime while DH gave her a bottle from the previous night's milk topped off w/formula if needed; managed it for a while with Nat, but her cold threw a monkey wrench into that so I'm still the one and only milk source since she gave up bottles. :( Yeah, well, sooner or later I'll have "the girls" back! LOL

Good luck!!! Yes, it's a little tricky at first, but you can do it! :) If we did it, it's definitely possible! :)

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:52:00 am »
You can do it!!!  It's got to be easier than carrying around bottles and water and formula!!  And you might surprise yourself on the modesty part...I found I was less worried/modest this time around. Get yourself some good nursing shirts and maybe one of those really cool nursing blankets and like Deb said, find a discreet place.   And you can work out a pumping schedule that fits for all of you.  You just have to go into determined that you will make it work or give it your best.   

I was able to work it that Z never even got a bottle...he's on a sippy now, but we never even had to think about bottles.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! :D  :D And you'll be so proud when you do!
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:59:26 am »
i too am a very modest person - and when out shopping at the mall i couldn't do it when dd started screaming cuz she was hungry - was good i carried a small bottle of formula (they supplied it to me at the hospital) and a bottle to tide her over.  i didn't like doing the blanket thing either.  that's when i started pumping...which i really didn't like at first but it was well worth it and it did get easier after getting a good night's sleep here and there and having a little freedom...altho as it was said in another reply, for the first month u should really solely bf ur lo to establish bfing well before introducing a bottle.  my lo will nurse, take a bottle, drink out of a sippy and a straw - she's not too fond of the bottle but will take it when she's hungry and i am not around - and she's six months - she loves the straw cup - it's her favorite..so i wouldn't worry too much about being 'bottle dependant' as long as u continue introducing other ways of drinking/eating early enough - for me i started around 4 or 5 months.  funny i could throw my boob out in front of ANYONE in my home - but not in public... :oops:
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 09:42:10 am »
Given that you don't have the luxury of bf in private w/ a toddler (I remember a vivid horrific scene of me chasing Kyle through the lingerie department at JC Penny w/ boob hanging  out, Amy crying (we'd ducked into a dressing room to bf, he figured out how to open the door!) I highly recommend the one bottle of formula a day approach.

I always subscribed to the philosophy that if I was attached to a breast pump for 20 minutes I wasn't sure what all in terms of freedom I was buying for myself.

At 3 weeks I introduced on bottle of formula a day, usually give it around dinner time. but once you have baby taking a bottle you can really use it whenever and pump if need be if the timing leaves you uncomfortable. ONce you're well established in your milk suppy it really won't matter if you miss on feed here or there. I would have dh give the "relief bottle " if he was home, if he wasn't usually I would just prop it up with a burp cloth or something. I found/ still find/ the most stressful time is when I'm trying to cook dinner. Baby is cranky, K and A are cranky, dh comes home and is unwinding from work, it just helps me to keep things peaceful.

Evan actually won't take a bottle unless he's really hard up these days, he'll hold out. I've gone back to the 4 oz bottles b/c I was tired of dumping out the 8 oz ones. BUT I do know he'll take one and it is such a relief to be able to leave him. And also in public as I"m usually chasing someone down... we don't bf in public.  ROTF... That's how it goes.

Good luck!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 14:29:02 pm »
Bf was hard to start with but so much better and easier in the long run. We do wish we had given a bottle of expressed from a week old because at 6 weeks we had problems. We got in to a routine after 4 weeks which i established for him, this meant i knew when he needed food so could organise my day around that.
good luck and enjoy your newbee x
Life's a journey, not a destination!

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 15:12:18 pm »
Stacie-

I can totally relate to everything you are saying.  I'm the kind of girl that needs to get away and go to the store ALONE sometimes.  Things I did to accomplish this

-Made sure we introduced a bottle as soon as nursing and latch were well established.  Ds was a week and a half.  I know others say to wait longer but for me he HAD to take a bottle and I didn't want to wait.  He does great and has no nipple confusion.  He didn't take right to the bottle but it only took a few days for him to be okay with it.

-I had Dh do the DF.  This meant I would pump as much as possible to ensure good milk supply.  I had a lot of milk so I single side fed and pumped the other side.  Yes it is a lot of work but I knew it meant freedom at other times.  I still pump a lot but this is because I don't want to give formula yet.  The morning is a great time to pump after LO eats.  You usually have good supply then.  I also pump again right before I go to bed even if it has only been 1.5 hours since I fed him.  It has taught my body to make more then.  Since Dh would DF I would have pleanty by the time he ate from me again.  If you are okay with formula then I would just wait 2-3 weeks until your milk supply is well established.

-I bought two extra pairs of breast shields.  The part that attaches to the bottle and to the pump.  I was going crazy washing them all the time so the extra ones help.

-Didn't worry about who was around when I fed him.  I remember with ds #1 being shy about it but with #2 I don't care.  I think it is because it was a goal of mine to BF and I feel like it is a job and people have to deal.  That might sound bad to those moms who just love nursing but it just isn't me.  I don't love it most of the time but I do feel like it is best.  Since we got started good right from the start and things are going well I have no excuse to quit :lol:  I have also grown to enjoy walking out of the house with the baby and a diaper.  No bottles for him is great.  I also like it in the middle of the night.

I understand you saying that you "want to want to do it".  For me I really wanted to but purly from a health stand point.  I really hope to avoid allergies with this kiddo.  That is my motivation.  People would tell me it is so much better for bonding and this I do not agree with.  So I needed other motivation :wink:   I also find it cool that my body is keep another little body ALIVE.  Amazing.

Sorry this is so long I just relate to the things you are saying.  I have been nursing for 9 weeks 3 days so you can do it!!
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 19:40:05 pm »
Wow, these messages are amazing. Jennifer2e you made me cry!

A planner can make breastfeeding pretty portable. In the beginning, you'll be home a lot anyway, getting used to two. As time goes on and you're ready to get out, it is pretty easy to plan. You can feed right before you go, get to the store and back in time to feed again. You can plan to feed while out (in your car, a dressing room, your mom's house, etc) if you'll be out for a while.

I do agree that the modesty does go away as time goes on but you can also be very discreeet about feeding in public (like at play group)

You've gotten some great tips on pumping and how to integrate formula. These are very doable options.

I also kwym about "wanting to want to" I desperately want to this time around, and even I am questioning myself, am I crazy to think I can?

Whatever way we feed our babies, we FEED our babies. They thrive, they grow. We do what is best for our babies and our families. Thank goodness there are options and choices to fit almost everyone.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 19:50:13 pm »
you can totally do it stacie!! Don't you remember sitting in the bathroom at the mall in college station while alli, crystal, and I all fed our babies?  hehe, wasn't that fun?? :lol:

anyhow, with kiandra, she had some formula off and on after she was a few months old because I wasn't huge on pumping at that time.  I don't think that supplementing with some formula is the end of the world, like when you're out and about or whatever. 

Now, with kalli, I never had to.  We'd moved to texas and didn't have nearly as many opportunities to get out (didn't have family around,etc), and when we did she was either with us, or I pumped.  I got used to feeding in public...I was able to use a blanket (tanya's huge swaddling blankets work well for feeding!), and people got used to me feeding.  I'm pretty modest, but eventually got to the point that most of the time, I'd feed covered up wherever I was (to a point).

Anyhow, that's kinda babbling but there ya go.
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 20:53:45 pm »
Everyone has already given you such great advice.  I just wanted to add that you can do it, and that really bfing is much more portable than formula feeding.  Do you have a good baby sling?  Some are great for those early days of constant nursing, when you must get out of the house.  You can put the baby in, and when s/he needs to nurse, get yourself situated (in the bathroom, if need be), and go.  You can get pretty well covered, and if you have a nursing shirt, no one will need to know you're nursing at all.  Plus, you can have your hands free!

You can do it!  If you run into trouble, we're all here for you!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

annamum

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 02:11:58 am »
I second Sabrina, get yourself a good sling as you will need it while chasing Emma anyway :lol:.

I always thought that taking bottles and formula and water is much more demanding, I have a short memory :lol: , than just taking a baby, myself and going.

Good luck!

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 03:15:55 am »
just wanted to add that i have never in 6 months bf at all in public - besides a playgroup or at a family members/friends house and today at the doctor i did right in the waiting room!!  it wasn't bad at all - not like i imagined it would be - u do what u gotta do!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 17:43:42 pm »
Stacy-Why did I make you cry..hopefully in a good way and not bad :?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 18:07:30 pm »
It's VERY portable!!  I was really glad to be breastfeeding and not have to worry about carrying anything to feed dd. You'll find a comfort level that suits both of you for feeding in public (or not!), but it's a great feeling to be able to feed your baby from just you.  And we'll all be here to support you, remember!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 20:05:57 pm »
Jennifer, it is just so wonderful, what you are doing and what you have overcome. It feels my heart with hope, and yes, the tears are happy ones.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies