Author Topic: pls reassure me bf is more portable than it sounds  (Read 2845 times)

Offline cdfox

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
pls reassure me bf is more portable than it sounds
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 21:27:23 pm »
I have a six-week-old son and was terribly nervous and anxious about breastfeeding too.  I wasn't sure about it either as I didn't know anyone who did it.  My mother, mil, and sil didn't breastfeed so I didn't have any support or guidance from them.  However, I was determined to give it a try and I've been pleasantly surprised by my breastfeeding experience, though I definitely had some hairy moments yet stuck with it in the end.

Here are some of my suggestions:

1) Breastfeeding is not innate nor necessarily easy.  Some babies latch on right away while others do not (my baby did not).  Be persistent and keep repeating to yourself that breastfeeding takes time, patience and skill.  It does get easier and less time-consuming, believe it or not.  If you tell yourself that you're going to try it for a week, but aim for a month, you're more likely to succeed than trying to commit for six months or a year before you've started.  Well, that was my experience anyway. 

2) Ask the nurses in the hospital to verify that the baby is correctly latched-on.  Call lactation consultants if you experience any problems.  I had to call one at my hospital the second week after delivery.

3) Educate yourself about the correct latched-on positions.  I received a free copy of breastfeeding your baby pamphlet from the hospital (I think) which was a lifesaver for me.  The baby's mouth has to be wide open (as if eating a big mac) and you have to bring the baby close enough to the breast so the baby's nose, chin and cheeks are pressed against it.

4) It's worth repeating that if your baby is latched-on correctly, you won't have sore nipples and breastfeeding will get easier. 

5) We introduced a bottle during the second week so Dad could do a feed.   Do it slowly and gradually (aim for 1/2 oz. for example at first) and the baby will likely take it.  I haven't found pumping to be a problem but actually found it easier than I thought.

6) Get your baby on a routine with set times for feeds.  I've now got my six-week-old feeding every three hours during the day.  Before I started an EASY routine, I was feeding on-demand; fostered a snacker; had a fussier baby and was rather unhappy with the lack of predictability.  If you've got your baby on a routine with set times for feeds then it's easier to travel with your baby.

7) Enjoy the time with your baby!

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 01:36:01 am »
{{{{{HUGS}}}} Stacy :D
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 02:02:25 am »
I second (or third or fourth or...) what the other ladies have said.  I haven't had to bf in public, but have hit a few dressing rooms here or there.  (One time we even stopped at a mall, walked to the dressing room, fed, and then left.  Much better than a gas station restroom I thought.   :lol: )
I agree that it's much easier to just get my little man and go.  No measuring things out, bringing water, and NO CLEANING BOTTLES AND BOTTLES AND BOTTLES! 
I pump daily so I always have enough milk for ds to go to mil's house 2 mornings a week so I can go to work or if I want to go out alone or wit my girlfriends.  When Ryan dropped his dreamfeed, I kept pumping at 10 and that's worked well.  I also TRY to remember to pump when I put him down for nap # 1. That way I get a lot of milk (morning seems to yield more?) and I have enough time to recover before his next feeding.
And, finally, I know this isn't really about being portable, but it is SO MUCH EASIER in the middle of the night.  Instead of getting up, measuring, heating, etc. you just go in there and whip it out and stick it in.   :lol:   Sorry to be blunt, but I thanked my stars many times when I was back in bed relatively quickly after a 2 am feed. 
Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!!!
Kate,

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 20:47:23 pm »
another thought... department stores with furniture sections have very cushy recliners and very few people.  so much nicer to sit & bf there than in a dressing room (though i've done that too.)  and put one of those harness things around dd & chain her to the double stroller... she has some freedom & can't get away either.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 21:37:12 pm »
I see the others already said it all... I totally agree it is so much easier down the line. I used to be very tempted to give forumla, but now DD is 5mo and the days when MIL is babysitting there is so washing/sterilising etc involved... so much easier to put her on the boobie and feed away. Also it is great comfort for her when she is upset, as DH calls it 'a secret weapon' - worked like a magic through her vaccinations so far.
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline thodder

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 21:42:58 pm »
Hi,

Sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions.  Having had a baby who would not latch for the first 4.5 weeks of life, I had to go through bottles, pumping etc...  It was such a pain to lug a bottle around everywhere, and find somewhere to heat it etc.   I thought I would be super modest about feeding in public, but after it being a pain to hide under the blanket, I gave up.  And the hubby was super supportive.  In Canada, if someone bothers you when breastfeeding they can be charged.  It got to the point that I'm in the middle of the local Donut Shop and am just flopping out a boob and feeding.  Soooo much easier than bottles.  :-)

You can do it, it really is easy once it starts to work.  And as you said, you can always pump, or just supplement with formula if you want some freedom.

Theressa
--------
Theressa Hodder
Mom of Joshua, Spirited baby
Born May 6, 2005

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 03:58:33 am »
theressa - i didn't know that u could charge someone in canada if they bother u while breastfeeding?!...good to know...makes me a little less 'intimidated' to feed in public - thanks!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 00:59:31 am »
Yes, it's in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that we have the right to breastfeed in public!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 03:36:12 am »
Thank you all so, so much for your replies.  I really am going to give this my best shot.  If nothing else, it's a great money saver and that's a great motivation for me right now, especially right after the holidays.

Jennifer - thank you for admitting that not all women love to breastfeed.  That was part of my struggle the first time.  It's just not my thing, but I do know that it is best and really do want what's best for my ds.  I'm trying to think positive above all else and plan in advance as much as possible to have all that I need on hand including a lactation consultant's phone number and fees. 

Thank you all and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions down the line!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 19:10:25 pm »
Stacie - YES heavens YES not all women love to breastfeed, in fact it is hard to find a woman who swears she loved the whole experience. Babies and moms go through periods where it is harder, periods where it is easier, times mom just wants to quit, times when they can't imagine ever weaning. The thing is finding the continuing motivation and support to keep going, no matter what stage you're in.

Well that's what we're here for.

And that is what La Leche League (most groups  :wink: ) and other breastfeeding support groups are there for.

It just depends on your level of need for interaction with other nursing moms and desire for personal or online support.  :D  Everybody's different.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies