Author Topic: Haberman feeder  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Midoferin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 15, 2005, 10:33:27 am »
Hello!
I have been using the Haberman feeder for my bf baby and it is working well. I need to know a few more things:
Did you find a cap for it or make up one?
Does your childminder agree to use it as you cannot test the temperature by squeezing milk and some milk stays in the top part?
Would you recommend to continue using it after 6-month old?
What bottle or teat did you use after? I find it is great that it does not leak.
Any other feedback on it is welcome.
Thank you.
Magalie

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Haberman feeder
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 20:02:07 pm »
**Bump**

Sorry Medoferin, I never used a Haberman...I bumped so hopefully someone will reply.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline nicb

• Showing Appreciation 0
Haberman feeder
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:58 am »
Hi Magalie: Medela, the company that makes the Haberman Feeder does not make a lid for it. Parents I've seen who use it (I'm an occupational therapist who sees babies with feeding issues) usually just stick some Saran Wrap over top - I know, not the best  :roll: .

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to test the temperature of the milk - you just need to squeeze the soft silicon part and milk will come out, so you can feel the temperature.

Now I'm going to get on a bit of a soapbox  :wink:

On recommending it after 6 months, I will be honest and say that I totally disagree with this bottle being used by normal babies, including newborns. This bottle was designed for babies with severe feeding problems, and I feel that its use should be prescribed for babies with cleft lip and palates and other diagnosed feeding issues, and its use should be monitored by someone trained in feeding assessment and treatment. The instruction manual for the system suggests squeezing the nipple to help the baby. DO NOT do this if your baby is a normal baby with no feeding difficulties - this will NOT allow your baby to exercise and develop its own sucking ability and rhythm; a normal baby does NOT need assistance to suck. In her book, Tracy suggests that the valve that keeps most liquid up above is what helps the baby regulate the flow of the liquid (because there is not too much liquid in the bottom part). However, when you are using this nipple appropriately, there is a constant flow of liquid from the top part into the bottom part as the baby sucks (and using this nipple appropriately involves squeezing the nipple, which is not appropriate for a regular newborn, as I've said above). In fact, it is the angle of the slit hole that determines the flow rate, which is actually controlled by the person feeding the baby. There are other nipples out there that have slit holes that you can also use to regulate the flow of liquid (that also cost a lot less than the Haberman). Its OK if a baby at first sputters when they are first learning to use a bottle - they need to learn how to regulate the flow of liquid. Newborns will typically learn fast. A baby who continues to choke on a bottle should be seen for a feeding evaluation - at which point suggestions to improve feeding, which might or might not include a Haberman, would be made based on what is causing the choking, which may or may not be related to flow rate.

OK, now off my soapbox  :wink:

So basically, I would say that for a baby over six months old, a good old regular nipple is just perfect.  And if you do use the Haberman, DON'T squeeze it!!

Hope that helps
Nic
Mum to Madelyn - January 7, 2005

Offline Midoferin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:19:43 am »
Thank you very much for your informative reply. I chose the Haberman feeder because my first baby went off the breast with the Avent bottle I introduce for relief. I find it was dripping too much and the baby could not control the flow and it was giving colic. I wanted the baby to do the suction and I find it works. I never squeeze the teat at all. Is there anything wrong witht the teat shape for a 'normal' baby's sucking development? What makes do teats with a slit. Can one find teats with a slit with only one type of flow?
I look forward to other feedback on it.

Offline nicb

• Showing Appreciation 0
Haberman feeder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 19:53:59 pm »
Hi again! All of my nipple info is at work, so I am trying to remember off the top of my head (I haven't worked in a year since I"m on mat leave!!). I *think* the Enfamil Standard and Ross Standard nipples are slit nipples. They're low flow anyway. Preemie nipples are too. There is nothing about the shape of a Haberman nipple that will affect the baby's sucking development. But I'm glad you don't squeeze it. Theoretically, the slit-hole nipple is supposed to offer several different flow rates with the one nipple - you just tilt the angle of the slit differently to change the flow rate. You mentioned that you used it because your other baby had colic. But colic isn't actually caused by nipples and feeding - I wonder if your baby was very gassy - which isn't the same thing as colic (though the two are often confused) - and can be caused by nipples and feeding. If your second baby is the same, you could also try a nipple with a wide base - sometimes it helps the baby to seal their lips around the nipple better and take in less air. The NUK has a wide base (although the shape of the nipple is flat, not round). The NUK has a cross-cut, which is supposed to help with flow, although the NUK is classified as a high-flow nipple. The AVent also has a wide base, though you said you didn't like that one with you other baby. Another nipple that's supposed to be good for gas is Dr. Brown's. I have no experience with it, but I *think* it has a valve in it too. I've heard good things about it.  Anyway, hope that helps!
Nic
Mum to Madelyn - January 7, 2005