Author Topic: VERY active sleep  (Read 841 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 15, 2005, 13:18:02 pm »
My son has been doing this for a long time and I am wondering if this is why he is so tired even if he slept well - I mean for him slept well...

For both naps and bedtime he goes to sleep quite easily.  For naps at about the 30 min point he stirs or even wakes up and it takes me about 10-20 min to get him back to sleep.  Then he has the most fitful sleep.  Banging his head on the mattress, his arms, his legs.  Thrashing his head from side to side.  This goes on for about 45min - he has his eyes closed and I am usually putting the paci back in a few times, patting his bottom.  Patting his bottom usually helps the most to calm him.  Then usually he sleeps soundly for the last portion of the nap.

At night he can go a good 4 hours then he starts with the thrashing about.  After about 1-2 hours of this he is awake to eat then out again for 3ish hours then the last 1-2 hours of the night he is in the thrashing mode and occaisionally has another 45min at the end of sound motionless sleep.

He gets up happy from all his sleeps, but is usually ready for a nap at 1h15min showing by signs of yawning.  I have had some success keeping him up to close to 2 hours, but it is hard. 

Any thoughts on this sleep pattern?  What is the deal with the fitful sleep?  Normal?  Anything I can do about it?  Any thoughts on what it is all about?

Thank you
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
VERY active sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 21:03:59 pm »
sounds pretty normal, actually.

one thing that may help is to pretty much ignore anything except the "mom, get in here!" cry.  most kids do roll around & such.  4 months is a notorious time for that, as it's a big developmental milestone.  if he's not crying, i'd leave him & see if he resettles on his own.

HTH   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy