Author Topic: Gas getting him up??  (Read 1055 times)

Offline hokiemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 15, 2005, 14:05:11 pm »
My 7 week old sleeps fine for the first part of the night (from about 9:00 to 1:00 or 2:00).  He sometimes will go back to sleep until 4:30 or 5:00 (sometimes we have to work on it).  When he gets up then, however, he has a very difficult time sleeping.  I will nurse him (I am not sure if he even wants to be nursed-he doesn't feed for very long)  After that, we try to put him  back down and he grunts and groans and thrashes around.  My husband takes him on the couch and lays with him for a few more hours where they both get broken and restless sleep.  He has gas during this time and will eventually have a bowel movement after he wakes up around 7:00 am.  He calms down after this.  My questions are:

Does it sound like stomach discomfort is getting him up and keeping him up and what can I do to help him?  Should I automatically nurse him when he gets up? 

Thanks!!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Gas getting him up??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 16:02:28 pm »
maybe u could try a little gripe h20 before u first put him down to try and break up any gas bubbles he could be having??  if u are bfing maybe it is something u are eating as well??...that was my prob with my lo - very sensitive little belly she has - i can hardly eat anything with flavor anymore it seems!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Gas getting him up??
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 21:06:41 pm »
does sound like he's trying to get something out.

you can also try gas drops (mylicon is the brand name, but there are lots of generics) before feeding him.  eventually, his body clock will switch around and he will poop at a more convenient time - hopefully!!!  :lol:

and, just to cover all the bases, you might want to have a check on the reflux board.  they have a checklist of symptoms to look for.  although since you say he goes down easy, that's not likely a culprit. 

:D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline llambden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
Gas getting him up??
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 22:34:34 pm »
This is what my little boy does to.  This is what I do and it seems to help.  I feed him and burp him and then give him some gripe water.  I don't even give him the full amount it says on the gripe water bottle. Just try 1/2 tsp to start and you can always incease if need to.  I then lay him down for the night.  Sometime in 10-15 minutes he will move and grunt so I go in and pick him up to burp him (I don't leave the room).  He won't always burp but it just helps settle him down.  Then I lay him down again.  I find when he wakes for his 4-5am feeding he settles down really good.  If he is having a really bad night with gas then I give him another 1/2 tsp.  That is why I also don't give him the full amount to start with just incase we need to give him more.  I find now he sleeps better and doesn't wake up as much.  We also don't use the gripe water every night anymore.

9-10pm bedtime (Gripe water)
4-5am feed sometimes 6-7am
back to sleep after feed
6-10 sleep
10-1 up playing
1-2 sleep (vary in length)
2-4 playing
4-5 sleep

Good Luck
Lori
LORI

Offline hokiemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 14:07:15 pm »
Thanks!  I just ordered some gripe water-hopefully this will help.  I am glad to see I am not the only one with this problem.  Last night he seemed really uncomfortable. :(