Author Topic: Want to take an all-day class - N won't take bottle! :(  (Read 1203 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Want to take an all-day class - N won't take bottle! :(
« on: December 15, 2005, 15:35:59 pm »
Well, it's happened: Josie's preschool is hiring 2 new teachers next year and I've officially expressed interest and plan to get certified in Montessori. There's a workshop in January that runs from 9AM-3PM, and it's about an hour from here, so that's 8 hours that Natalie and my boobs won't be in close proximity. The school definitely reommends that I take the seminar if possible, and I WANT to, but how do I keep my baby fed?

Natalie hasn't taken a bottle since she got her first cold and was basically nursing around the clock. I've tossed a lot of expressed milk down the drain or mixed it into baby food to freeze as I'm making my own, because to her, the bottle seems to be just another teething device that inconveniently drips milk at her. :?

She's actually getting better at drinking from a cup, so MAYBE by mid-January she'll be adept enough to take milk or formula that way, but what do I do if she's not? It's not really practical for DH to drive an hour each way to bring her to me to nurse mid-day. Also can't really bring her along because she is SOOOOO active and will be ALL over the place, enough to distract even seasoned students and teachers and certainly enough to distract ME. :(

On top of that, my boobs are gonna HURT!!!!! Yes, I can certainly bring along the Pump-In-Style, but then when do I eat lunch? LOL

How do I do this????? Do I just need to bite the bullet and wean her? Josie happily nursed till 15.5 months, and I was happy to do it, but Natalie is more easy-going and I get the impression that once weaned she'll go about her business and forget what boobs are for by the next day. LOL Me, though, I kinda LIKE nursing!!!!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 19:42:20 pm »
Will they offer the course at any other time? Maybe April, June, August???
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 21:55:00 pm »
Erica started with the straw cup with success with breast milk at 5 mos.  We never did get her to take a bottle.  Will she go for a sippy, or whatever josie uses?  Good luck!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

annamum

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:27:03 am »
She will be then approximately 8 months old, right? I think that if it is just one day, she will survive without your boob. She will see that you are not around, and whoever else takes care of her on that day will offer her a sippy. Even if she doesn't drink anything from it till you get home she will not starve, she will have some solids to bridge her till you are back.

It is not the same situation as if you were going to work full or part time. You don't need to stress out, in my opinion, one day won't make much difference, unless you think she will not stay with anybody else but you.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:09:30 am »
Hello Deb, I agree with Annamum.  I would just add to definitley take your breastpump with you that day so you can pump a couple times to  not get so engorged.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 03:19:03 am »
Deb I second Monika... Liam doesn't take the bottle (my doing) & takes a bit from a sippy... I want to start going  out more after Christmas (Kate time) & I am not going to worry if he misses a bf (or 2) as he takes solids. I want to keep bf until well whenever BUT I can't be bothered trying a bottle for those few times I need to & honestly it isn't like Nat is 3months old... she does take solids & a sippy (a bit) so even if for one day she gets a bit less bm... is it going to be the end of the world... I say go, enjoy & offer the boob just before you leave & pop it out when you walk in the door  :lol:  :lol:
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05