Author Topic: dream feed 6 1/2 week old  (Read 1073 times)

Offline sav

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 15, 2005, 17:33:31 pm »
My 6+ week old is a textbook/angel baby.  We have had him on EASY since day 1 in the hospital, and on the whole he does great during the days, goes 3 hrs between feeds, takes 1 1/2-2 hr naps and pretty much 'follows the book'.
Nights have been a bit trickier, we recently moved bedtime up from 930 to 8/830, and started trying a dreamfeed about 1030 (pumped breastmilk in the bottle).  At most he has taken 1 1/2 oz at the dreamfeed, and he ends up dribbling a lot of it all over himself.  Last night he wouldn't wake up at all to suck.  Any suggestions?
Also, when he does take the dreamfeed he sleeps until about 2 am, last night without it he slept until 130, we are a far cry away from going from a dreamfeed at 11 to 4 or 5 in the morning.

I know I have a great little guy and sleeper on my hands, we are just trying to tweak this one area for him.  Any advice or suggestions, particularly on whether or not it is worth sticking with the dreamfeed, is appreciated!

Hans

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
dream feed 6 1/2 week old
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 03:29:34 am »
It can take a while (a week or more) before the df has a roll on effect. Most babies naturally sleep their best sleep from early evening (6/7/8pm) until midnight or a bit later. So it is important to find the 'right time' for the df. I think with an 8/8.30 bedtime 10.30pm for a df it too early, assuming the last feed is close to bedtime.
I think you just need to perservere... I did a df (of sorts 10pm wake up feed) for ds#1 it took 2 weeks to "work" for ds#2 I didn't do it  as I am an early to bed person, but I know others have tried & it took ages to kick in & for some it never worked... it really is one of those things you have to work at & find the 'right timing'
HTH

Sounds like you are going great with the day, so the night should settle soon too, it just takes time
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sav

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 16:40:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  Is there an end time on the dream feed?  I thought I read in the book she said don't do it after 11, but then in her sleep interview something about it is ok to move it back as late as 1 am?
Also, I am breastfeeding, and can't for the life of me figure out the timing of that w/ the dreamfeed!  The idea of trying to actually put him on the breast while asleep seems absurd, as he really needs to wake up enought to nurse.  My husband, dear man that he is, is willing to get up and then do the dreamfeed w/ pumped breast milk, but if I don't nurse between 8 pm and 2 or 3 am I get engorged and also worry that it isn't good for my milk supply.
Ah, so many questions!  I am a first time mom, so I probably spend a bit too much time obsessing over this stuff!  The BW has just worked so well for us on the whole.

Hans