Author Topic: won't sleep ion crib for naps  (Read 2076 times)

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 15, 2005, 17:37:40 pm »
Hello,  I am trying to get my 10 week old down for naps in her crib.  I did some accidental lparenting by rocking and jiggling her to settling down along with the pat shush.  When she gets sleepy and settles down I stop rocking and just do the pat shush.  Then she closes her eyes and I put her in her crib and continue to pat shush for maybe 3-5 minutes.  She always wakes up 10-25 minutes later and I can't seem to get her to settle again.  Does anyone have any advice?
James John  Born:  April 21,  2002
Helena Bellmaine Born:  October 5,  2005

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
won't sleep ion crib for naps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 20:23:52 pm »
Hi

With our LO we had to pat/shush for a little longer to begin with - maybe 10 minutes after he'd settled.  I then kept one hand on his back and one on his chest until I'd felt him jolt into the deeper sleep cycle after 20 minutes (and started the pat/shush up again if he became unsettled and then waited another 20 minutes!).  It took a couple of weeks before we could leave him to get past the 20 minute mark himself - perhaps this is when your LO is waking?  If you stay with him you don't have to pat and shush the whole time, just put a little pressure on him as you feel him jolting.

HTH
Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 22:56:46 pm »
Would you just stand next to the crib for 40 minutes?  How long would he sleep after you got him down?  How much activity time do you give him?  Thank you for your quick response.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 15:49:53 pm »
Hello, Kelly has given you some great advice there. That's what we did when we were teaching sleep to ds.

You've done really well getting your lo to sleep that quickly using pat/sssh, but, as Kelly says, it's best if you stay with her for another 20 mins or so after she seems to have gone to sleep. Try it, and if you leave your hand on her back gently, you'll probably feel her 'jolt' after 15-20mins. You being there may help her through her transition, or you may have to sssh a bit more. If you do this for a few days (yes, it's really boring and time consuming :roll: ), she should learn to go through this sleep transition on her own, and you won't have to do it again.

Just another thought -

Quote (selected)
Then she closes her eyes and I put her in her crib and continue to pat shush for maybe 3-5 minutes

Are you sure she's not asleep before you put her in the crib? It's important that she's not, b/c she may be waking up during this sleep transition thinking, when I went to sleep, I was being held, and now I'm in a cot on my own, where's everybody gone? This may be why she's waking.

HTH, let us know how you get on
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline mickymuscles

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 15:52:49 pm »
hi!
we had to stay for 20 min doing the pat/shh for about a week or two until ds could manage to fall asleep on his own esp. since your lo is still so young.  Do you have him bundled to help with the jolt?
Micky
mom to 2 beautiful boys!

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 16:19:13 pm »
Quote (selected)
Do you have him bundled to help with the jolt?

Oh yes, of course, I forgot to mention that! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  Swaddling is a great way to help with this. Have you tried it?

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline KellyC

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 18:20:52 pm »
Hi again

I stayed with my LO until he'd calmed down plus another 20 minutes until I felt him jolt - it took a while for me to be able to recongnise the jolt as there are quite a few in the first light stages of sleep but if you look at the clock too it will help you to see it.  It helps that Zander seems to be a textbook baby - good job as I'm most definitely a text book mummy!  Zander can only take a little more than one hour's Activity time (including his feed, nappy change etc) so I'll usually be thinking about winding down for his nap 1 hour after he last woke.  I seem to always be putting him to sleep but I know it'll pay off!  I also swaddle him during the day - he really needs it.

Kelly x

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 16:59:26 pm »
Thank you for everyone's advice I will definately try staying with her longer.  I just sart swaddling again.  I did stop for awhile and realized she needs it.  Should I continue to swaddle both arms she seems to have found her hand?

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 17:09:45 pm »
Hello again. If she's found her hand, and is using it as a comforter, I would try swaddling, but leaving one arm out. See if that works.

Good luck :)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 17:40:14 pm »
Hi, can I stick my nose in?
I also have a ten week old who rarely sleeps through a nap. But he has been waking up at 30 min. Could that be when he has his jolt, or is it something else? Should I go in right before that and put my hand on his back? (He sleeps so lightly, I'd be afraid to wake him...)
thanks, guys.
He also wakes up at night after 30 minutes.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 02:00:46 am »
Hey guys me again.  I now have been trying to get her to sleep and I can not settle her down unless I rock her.  SHe starts crying and I can't seem to settle her down with the pat shush.  Please tell me ther is still hope.  She has not taken a nap all day.  I am losing my patience.  Help!!!

Offline KellyC

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 10:45:05 am »
Yes there is hope!  My first week using pat/shush instead of the dummy was bad, the second week was a nightmare but the third week was fantastic.  I have to say though that Zander was probably 11 or 12 weeks before he got comforted by pat/shush now he knows exactly what it means and calms down straight away.  Except now he's teething ... that's another story!  I'm sure one of the more experienced BW mummies will be able to offer you some reassurance and help too.

Kelly x

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 17:57:58 pm »
Stacy, I liked your post a lot, as I'm in the throes of it. Be consistent. Be consistent. Thanks.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby