Author Topic: more than spit up  (Read 8958 times)

Offline tara001

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 15, 2005, 17:51:57 pm »
My son spits up, more than I think is okay, he has to be burped in mid feed so he won't spit all his bottle up, and burped after the feed again, both times he's burped he spits up alot. then he will spit up 3 or 4 times after that, some times it's a little formula, and often its alot of clear fluid with curdled formula, he's not in pain, he doesn't cry about it, but I am worried. He is gaining weight and is healthy, the doctor says that some babies just puke, but this much???

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
more than spit up
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 18:18:50 pm »
how old is your l/o? This sounds exactly like Jake at about 10weeks.I was told to ignore it, some babies are just "sicky". He especially would get the curdled spit up, about an hour after feeding.
I wasn't happy and kept pressing my health visitor and eventually my doctor gave me some Gaviscon sachets to add to his bottles.What a diference this made,he was happier,and seemed more satisfied and the spit up all but stopped.
I think reflux varies hugely in severety, and it is possible for it to be a mild case, but its still not nice for them.Keep pressing your doctor,if you are not happy.
good luck x

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

Offline tara001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 18:35:42 pm »
He is now 4 months old, and this has been happening from about 2 weeks. I will keep pestering her about it, but she's a bit of a battle axe, so we'll see, maybe I will bring up the tablets, it's just that he's not in any pain, so she seems to think it's okay.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
more than spit up
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 18:47:47 pm »
My DD is a heavy spitter too, has always been that way.  She also doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and the doctor said not to worry.  Also, sometimes I think she spits up a lot and it's only max of 1/2 oz.  Which in the scheme of things is ok, because she's eating solids, and eating 8oz bottles, so it's not a big deal.  I hope it resolves on it's own eventually.  She burps a lot too.  I really just think her tummy is smaller than her eyes.  I have to limit her solids because often she will continue to eat when I know she should be full.  Then she will spit up.  And tummy time always makes her spit up more.  Again, it's annoying, and I have a bib on her almost always, but if she doesn't seem bothered by it and is healthy I don't worry about it.

Offline tara001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 19:15:34 pm »
I am not worried about his spit up of formula, just the clear stuff with curdled chunks, it comes about 45 min-1 hour later and it smells very sour, it has been getting worse, as there is alot more now than when he was 2 weeks.

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
more than spit up
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 19:51:46 pm »
Through my research, reflux type spit up, is worse in boys apparently.
That sour smelling curdled spit up is a real tell tale sign,just because it doesn't seem to bother him, don't ignore 'cos they tell you to. MOTHERS INSTINCT is rarely wrong.
Tell them specifically that you are worried it is reflux. It took me visits to two different doctors until I got reflux meds, and I'm glad I persissted.
liz x

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

Offline tara001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 20:29:04 pm »
I booked a dr. appointment for Tuesday, and I will persist, if she still continues to ignore it, I try another dr.
Thanks for your input, I feel much better!

Offline dinah34134

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 13:56:09 pm »
i was just going to say that andrew spits up all the time, sometimes hours after eating, but his spit up NEVER smells sour or looks curdled. i think you're doing the right thing making a dr's appointment.

Offline tara001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 17:40:09 pm »
Okay, so we went to the doctor, and she gave me all the literature on GERD, and evaluated him (he's gaining weight like a freight train!)
but she also gave me a prescription for liquid zantac.... hopefully this will do the trick, I am buying laundry soap by the crate!
Has anyone tried this stuff before???

Offline CC's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
more than spit up
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 12:53:57 pm »
I went to the Dr on Tuesday as my DD is very similar to this.  She offered to prescribe me Gaviscon but also suggested making sure she is as upright as possible during feeding and for as long as possible afterwards (she doesn't have children!!!).  It hasn't made much of a difference and after reading some of the posts I think I will ring the Dr for the Gaviscon.  I just didn't want her havings "drugs" this young if poss!!! :D
Mum to Caitlin, born 24th August 2005

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
more than spit up
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 14:13:50 pm »
Tara 001, I am in the UK, but that sounds like what we have as Gaviscon here.Also, Jake still gained weight as expected. Glad DR finally listened to you, best of luck.

CC's mum, I asked the doctor what was in the gaviscon, and he assured me it was gentle, and wouldn't have any future effect on his digestion.
I can't sing the praises enough of Gaviscon, (I should probably be on comission! ) It made a huge difference to us both !
Liz

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

Offline rebeccahurt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 20:43:20 pm »
Quote from: CC's Mum
I went to the Dr on Tuesday as my DD is very similar to this.  She offered to prescribe me Gaviscon but also suggested making sure she is as upright as possible during feeding and for as long as possible afterwards (she doesn't have children!!!).  It hasn't made much of a difference and after reading some of the posts I think I will ring the Dr for the Gaviscon.  I just didn't want her havings "drugs" this young if poss!!! :D
Hello I do sympathise with you my daughter has just turned one and has been sicking up only her last feed before bedtime for about 4 months, my doctor gave me the gaviscon sachets which really made a difference however she's teething badly a the moment and they're just not helping, it happens approx 1 hour after she's had it, she drinks it in her cot propped up, goes to sleep, wakes an hour later crying then brings it all back up and it to is foul smelling and curdled milk.  Any idea? I wondred if anyone else had this problem when teething? It's been 5 nights in a row now and it's driving us mad, she's fine having the milk in the day for her sleep it's just this night time feed?

Offline bocabum

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Chloe Ann
reflux
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 00:41:11 am »
Hi,

My daughter is almost 4 months, and my husband & I were told a little over a month ago by our Dr. that she had acid reflux, so she prescribed liquid Zantac. 
After a month, I stopped giving it to her because it wasn't helping at all, in fact, she was throwing it up at the end of it. 

Tara001, are you having any luck with the Zantac?  Is there something else I should be asking for, or will she soon grow out of this?  It's so frustrating!  I burp her often, she gives me one good burp, which is then followed by either a lot of spit up, or occassionally, she throws up, probably as much as 1 or 2 oz sometimes!  I can't imagine what that must be like for the poor thing, however she is thriving, and gaining weight!

The Dr. wants us to continue with the Zantac even though I've said that she's still spitting/throwing up her milk!  I just don't know what to do!   :(

Offline Lara's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 21:02:31 pm »
hi.. my dd is 2.5 months with very similar symptoms, she spits up heavily after feeding whether or not she is kept upright. and almost an hour after her feed, she gets real strong pains and needs meds to help her burp although she burps real good after feeding. she is gaining weight and the dr. prescribed something. it does the trick for the burping but not the spit up. any ideas....
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline tara001

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 23:16:43 pm »
Quote from: bocabum
Hi,

My daughter is almost 4 months, and my husband & I were told a little over a month ago by our Dr. that she had acid reflux, so she prescribed liquid Zantac. 
After a month, I stopped giving it to her because it wasn't helping at all, in fact, she was throwing it up at the end of it. 

Tara001, are you having any luck with the Zantac?  Is there something else I should be asking for, or will she soon grow out of this?  It's so frustrating!  I burp her often, she gives me one good burp, which is then followed by either a lot of spit up, or occassionally, she throws up, probably as much as 1 or 2 oz sometimes!  I can't imagine what that must be like for the poor thing, however she is thriving, and gaining weight!

The Dr. wants us to continue with the Zantac even though I've said that she's still spitting/throwing up her milk!  I just don't know what to do!   :(

My LO still has spit up (which is just after feeding and when he's being burped) but the sour chunky stuff that comes later has been greatly reduced to maybe a few drops.
I did stop the zantac after a week or so, I just felt bad, as everyone says that he'll grow out of it, and you know, he still only has a few drops of the sour stuff, so now I am confused if it was the Zantac that helped or if everyone else was right. (sigh)