Author Topic: When can I start pumping???  (Read 1032 times)

Offline AZMOM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When can I start pumping???
« on: December 15, 2005, 18:38:47 pm »
Hi ladies!  It has been a long time  since I've been to the site.  I just had my second child - ds 2 weeks ago.  I have received alot of different advice when it comes to pumping.  With my daughter I pumped right away because she was 5 1/2 weeks early and in the NICU.  We also had to follow up with formula for a few weeks to up the calories she was getting.  Now with my son I am bf but going back to work after 8 weeks.  Not sure if Ican begin pumping next week and get my husband to feed him the one bottle a day.  DH is going to be home with him for about 8-10 weeks after I return to work.  Hope I am not babbling to much!

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa, mom to
Hayley 06-04-02
Garret 11-30-05

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 19:30:04 pm »
I started pumping once the nipple tenderness went away- somewhere around wee 2 or 3. I introduced a bottle around 5 weeks and went back to work at 8 weeks.
Jeni

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 19:45:09 pm »
I would try to pump and start a bottle soon, today is fine as long as nursing is established and things are going fine. You probably know to pump in the am to get the most yield, you can also pump the second side if he is single side feeding.

Good luck and what a lucky mom to have dad staying home!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline AZMOM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 21:45:00 pm »
Thanks!  I know I am lucky to have DH home from work taking his leave once I go back to work.  I appreciate the advice.  I'll try pumping within the next few days.

lisa
Lisa, mom to
Hayley 06-04-02
Garret 11-30-05