Author Topic: Where to start with a 5 1/2 month old?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline cproudfoot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 16, 2005, 18:40:07 pm »
I had thought I was getting my daughter on a routine, but I think I was fooling myself and being a bit to inconsistent.  So now, she just can't seem to nap well during the day.  She is a great night sleeper, but clearly is tired during the day and is cranky because of it.  Please help me get her started on this.  I have read the newsest book and am excited to give it a try, but my biggest fear is this will affect her great nighttime sleeping (12+ hours on average).  I know for her age she is going down for more naps then she needs to, but because her naps aren't really long, and she always seems tired right after them, I am putting her to S after about 1.5 to 2 hours of A.  I also know I need to switch her to a 4 hour routine, but with her naps being so off I am finding this hard.

Here is her current "average" routine.

Awake around 6:30/7
7 am Nurse
7:30 Oatmeal
8:30 Nap
9:30 awake, but let her talk, play or cry until 10am
10 Nurse
11:30 Nap
12 or 12:30 she wakes, and try to let her go until 1
1 Nurse
Here is where I have not been consistent at all because she is cranky
2, 2:30, 3 Nap (sometimes in car, sometimes in stroller)
4 Nurse
4:30 or 5 Catnap in rocking chair because she is too exhausted to get herself to sleep
5/5:30 Rice Cereal
5:30 bath
6/6:30 Nurse and to Bed

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Where to start with a 5 1/2 month old?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 20:01:34 pm »
hi,
There is a great section in the 2nd book that highlights how to go onto a 4 hour routine. it's in pu/pd, and it describes how to go day by day extending the A time, and the E time, I followed it and it only took 3 days.
It made a huge impact on Jake's naps, (as it descibes in the book, babies over 4 months who are still on a 3 hour routine often can't nap longer than 45 mins.) After the change he started napping for 1& 1/2 hrs after weeks of 45 mins.
I was skeptical at first, but it really worked. The weekend is here.... give it a go?
Liz x

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

Offline cproudfoot

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 21:55:17 pm »
Thanks Liz for your advice.  I have only just picked up the new book so hadn't yet gotten to that section.  I will give it a try.

Cate

Offline Baby Chase's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 00:22:29 am »
what is the second book?  I would like to pick that up for myself.....my ds LOVES his 45 min naps and I am on a three hour EASY right now, trying to go to 4.....

Tara
Mom to Chase
07/06/05

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 13:49:45 pm »
Hello, how are you getting on?

Baby Chase's Mom - the book is The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (by teaching how to ask the right questions). It's great b/c it helps if you are having any problems with following the BW method (or just have any questions about any particular part of it).

cproudfoot - Liz is right, the pu/pd section of the book would be great for you. If you start with "What is P.U./P.D.?", p. 221, it gives you a great basis for understanding why you are doing it, as well as explaining what to do.

Looking at your routine, I think extending naps using pu/pd, so no crying it out is necessary, is the way to go, especially the second nap. Two bigger naps (1 1/2 hrs each) plus a catnap would be great for her.

You are doing great with her being a good nightime sleeper, well done! If your dd does get on a good daytime routine, though, she may lose a bit of this nightime sleep, as 12+ hrs of nightime sleep is at the high end of night sleep, but only 1/2 or so, so don't panic! This would go onto the day sleep, and she should be less grumpy in the evening.

HTH, let us know how you get on
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline cproudfoot

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 16:21:01 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions.  In re-reading the Pu/PD section where it gives the detailed breakdown of how to do the switch to a 4-hour routine, I am assuming that on days 4 to 7 for instance, that she does not need to have three full naps, 1.5, 1.25 and 2 hours?  This I imagine would be very difficult for me to achieve.  I am assuming that that schedule is for a 4 month old.

Any suggestions on how to alter that 12 day program for an almost 6 month old would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Cate

Offline charleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Our Routine that worked
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 19:18:27 pm »
Switching to a 4 hour routine is a big change and challenge but once your LO get's it she will be fine.
Below is the routine we follow for our days.
It has worked GREAT.  A whole lot better then our 3 hour routine.
(We have only recently moved to solids so everything is cerel but will change to others beginning next week.  My baby has many allergies to foods.)

8:00 am Wake / 3tbls Cerel / 6 oz Formula
8:30 am Clean up & Get dressed - Mommy & Baby talk time.
9:00 am Baby Einstine Video
9:30 am Play time with a rattle or toy.  Read a book.
10:00 am Nap Time
12:00 pm Wake / 3tbls Cerel / 6 oz Formula
12:30 pm Take a walk (or go run errands)
2:00 pm Nap time
4:00 pm Wake / 3tbls Cerel / 6 oz Formula
4:30 pm Play time in room
5:15 pm Family Time (w/ Daddy & Mommy - play and talk)
6:00 pm Short nap (but transitioning out of this one.)
6:45 pm Bath
7:30 pm Cuddle & Read book or listen to music
8:00 pm 8 oz Formula (Put right to bed.)

It is important to make sure you have good wake times.  Play together.  make sure you child is active so that they do get a little tired and nap well.  If you baby goes down for a nap after just eating and sitting around then they have not be stimulated enough to be tired.  This causes shorter nap times.

:D
Charlee's Mom :)
http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Pic" border="0Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0