Author Topic: breastmilk elimination diet for colic  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Guava

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 16, 2005, 19:32:58 pm »
A ped' nurse friend thinks that something I am eating may be causing excess wind and discomfort in my breastfeeding 3 mo dd.  And while I will keep a food diary of what I eat and her reactions, I wondered if anyone had been on an elimination diet to reduce gas / colic symptoms, what you ate that worked and what didn't.  I understand that protein is what is recommended to be removed.  Would appreciate any ideas as baby in real pain with wind despite Ovol, Gripe Water, massage, burpings, etc.  Thanks.

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
breastmilk elimination diet for colic
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 20:05:06 pm »
Hmmm, wish I could help you with this but am not sure either. I'll bump it and see if anyone else knows.  :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
breastmilk elimination diet for colic
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 11:42:23 am »
You need to be careful with elimination diets when you're breastfeeding to ensure that you are getting the right balance from other foods. Some of the obvious ones are tea, coffee/caffine (coke/diet coke), alcohol, chocolate etc. Others things (as in our case) such as milk, soya can also prove a problem. Even the smallest amount can also make a difference (I was only having one cup of tea with milk in the hope the reduction would help but it wasn't until I cut all dairy out that I saw a difference).

I'm not suggesting that you should go dairy free but that if you are going to eliminate start with the things your body won't really miss - coffee, tea etc and then go on from there.

You also have to give some things an adequate amount of time to leave your system and your babies before you see a difference. Milk protein can take up to 8 weeks to leave the system.

hth

Sara

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 21:49:07 pm »
DD has eczema and I'm doing some elimination too. So far only the standart irritants - tea/coffee, juices, chocolate (miss that one!!!), nuts, especially peanuts, citrus/oranges ...

I am not sure if that is relevant to colic but agree with Livvismum, start with something like that, give it at least a week or two and then consider eliminating more.
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline lavina mcg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:20:38 am »
Is it passing wind or burping? Or both?

From my experience elimination diet helped my baby enormously. But she has reflux. And part of her discomfort was wind related (burping). No matter how much she was winded, there was more. Still not sure about it but think it might have been more about how her tummy was very acidic and made more wind (I think of a cauldron bubbling), or possibly overfeeding due comfort feeding. Still not sure. But Infant Gaviscon was very effective and always brought up a huge burp and she was comfortable afterwards.

There are diverse opinions on how much diet affects your breastmilk. From my experience, it does. Chocolate really affected both my babies and gave them excessive wind (farting). Do you eat alot? Or alot of dairy? I vaguely recall reading that onions, garlic might affect wind in bfed babies. But cant rem where that came from, maybe Dr. Sears? I have read alot on this, and the protein thing doesnt ring a bell at all.

Everyone is different. But you could start with both of them for a few days and see. Although as said the dairy takes ages to really disappear from your system, for me about 3 weeks. But you will notice an improvement quickly ie. a few days.

I have also noticed that when I dont get wind up from my baby after feeding, whether she is tired and has fed to sleep, or we are rushed, or maybe just whatever I have eaten... about 3 hours later she is uncomfortable with loud farts that are obviously difficult to pass.

Cant think of anything else right now.
Take care,
Lavina

Offline lavina mcg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 15:31:55 pm »
Another thing I thought of is apple or apple juice. Has caused alot of wind in my babies.