Author Topic: Ouch  (Read 1019 times)

Offline jhcodrum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Ouch
« on: December 16, 2005, 22:59:34 pm »
Hi
I have just in the last couple of days stretched my boy fron 3 hour feeds to 4 due to introduction of solids. My problem is i am horribly engorged due to effectively dropping a feed. I have had to pump a little to relieve pressure due to lumps forming i am so afraid of getting mastitis as i had it a couple of months ago (just from a missed feed). Should i continue to pump a little to relieve or am i creating more of a problem by telling my body it needs to keep producing that much. HELP what should i do i am i a lot of pain?  :cry:

Offline Fife_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Ouch
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 23:09:25 pm »
Do warm (or cold) flannels help? Also, savoy cabbage is amazing at soothing engorged breasts. It seems a bit odd though  :)
Hopefully you'll adjust over the next couple of days, but just pump a little if pumping helps.

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Ouch
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 01:58:58 am »
Actually, when you start solids you shouldn't drop a breastfeed. Solids are just a few tsp to tbsp, given an hour after a nursing, in between nursings. The amount should not be so much that it changes your nursing schedule at all.

When you do stretch feeds, give yourself a slow start, 15 min or so longer at a time. If you need to pump to relieve pressure, do so, I just wouldn't completely empty the breast.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

Ouch
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 22:07:59 pm »
I agree with Stacy, you don't replace breastfeeding with solids, you add solids to your schedule. You can offer solids 45 minutes or an hour after a nursing, this way you ensure your baby still gets milk and that it is a main source of his food till one year.