Author Topic: An egg white question  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
An egg white question
« on: December 17, 2005, 01:45:40 am »
Both dd's doctor and her paediatrician have recommended Ella not have egg white until she's two. "Just to be on the safe side" is what she's said. We don't have any large problem with allergies in the family, my mum used to have asthma, doesn't really anymore and so does my brother. Neither dh nor I have allergies though I have some sensitivities it that makes sense. For example I had a weird reaction to the flu shot though it wasn't an allergic reaction from what they could gather.

Here's my question... I fed dd her supper tonight from a jar that had pasta and eggwhite was listed in the ingredients. So now I'm worried! Is there anything in particular I should look for? Or the just the usual suspects? I feel like such a bad mummy!  :oops:  :(

And if she has no reaction is it safe to assume she has no allergy and we we're lucky? So we could continue to give it? I should add Ella has had the flu shot (with the egg protiens or whatever it is) and she is fine with egg yolk.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
An egg white question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 20:08:57 pm »
Hmmm, I can't imagine why your ped. said no egg whites if there isn't a history of food allergies? I'd say if there isn't any reaction to contact your ped and explain what happened. See if she thinks it would be okay to proceed with the egg whites from now on.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

An egg white question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 20:20:19 pm »
Thank you Kayna!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
An egg white question
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:50:27 am »
Hi Sharon

I find that very wierd too. If there is no confirmed allergy or sensitivity with your lo why would they sugest this? Think you should def follow up with your ped so that you know the reason. I see little point of restricting the diet without very good reason - if egg is being suggested why too hasn't your doc suggested dairy or nuts for that matter (both one of the top 8 allergens)?

In terms of the reaction you need to look out for immediate thins such as swelling of the fac and lips, breathing problems, bodily rash, vomitting (these can be serious). Other reactions include mucous and blood in stools and loose stools. If she didn't react the first time you could continue with caution (following the talk with your doc) but remember that generally the first exposure simply introduces the allergen to the system and you do not always see a reaction this time. It could be the second or third time that becomes the trigger. Or not if there is no sensitivity.

All that said, if she is fine with all other foods inc egg yolk then you may be ok.

hth
Sara

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
An egg white question
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 14:29:30 pm »
Hi Sharon!!!  :D  :wink:   Did you call the ped?  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

An egg white question
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 20:09:31 pm »
Thank you for all the info! She is fine, thankfully. Haven't called the paed. yet as we have to talk with him this coming week about her meds. He was okay with cow's milk (she's fine with it) but said no peanut butter, etc. until 5!  :shock: It's a weird situation because you only see a paedeatrician here if your child is sick. So Ella sees this doctor specifically for her reflux and our family doctor for all else. Our family doctor gets kept in the loop by the paed. re the reflux and it's a bit frustrating because he's such a respected paediatrician our family doctor just defers to him on all things. I try to "sneak" in other questions to the paed. because he is soooo good.  :lol: Does that make sense? But I haven't been able to get a straight answer about why no eggs. He said it's not because she has such bad reflux it's just what he recommends. Ah well... we'll see. Thanks again!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to