Author Topic: Big boy at 9 weeks - feed more frequently to sleep better?  (Read 889 times)

Offline izzygirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Big boy at 9 weeks - feed more frequently to sleep better?
« on: December 17, 2005, 20:36:17 pm »
Good day, BWs.  I'm a third time mom, trying to get off to a good start before the wheels fall off.  My son has always been sizable - 9# 4 oz at birth, currently 12# 13 oz..  He was a snacker, and I've been working constantly to get him to tank up and not munch.  Two and a half hours feels like a long time when he has irregular naps.  One day he'll be a napping monster, dropping off on his own and going a good two hours (after being up less than an hour).  The next day he struggles, 45-minute spurts or less, waking generally in pleasant spirits.  Nights are irregular.  He's in bed at 7p, but I generally see him again around 12 or 1, and 4 and 6.  I tried a few nights but admit to not dreamfeeding since he doesn't awaken enough to take a decent feed (unless I should be trying to get him more awake...).

SO... what if I put him on 2 1/2 schedule during the day in an effort to maximize his calories?  Or am I still defeating the purpose and not stretching the belly out nice and full?  Something seems counter-intuitive, but I don't know what.

And might I add that sleep training was tough with #2, but it feels impossible with 3 3 and under?  It's brutal!  I'll be upstairs trying to get DS down and God only knows what's happening on the main level with the 18-mo old and 3 year old.  "Stay with him until he's asleep" feels like mission impossible!  That's why I tend to abandon taking another hour to get him BACK to sleep after his 45-minute naps.  It just feels too dangerous. :shock:
Heidi
Izak, the Textbook Baby/Rackmonster Sleeper 10/16/02
Liberty, Textbook Baby 6/8/04
Levi, Touchy Baby 10/18/05

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 22:12:57 pm »
Heidi - No thoughts at all, just wanted to echo your questions.  My 8WO DD was over 9 at birth and is probably over 12 now, so we have the same sized LOs - and we fight the snacking monster too.  She sure doesn't each as much as I thought she would with a daily total of 20-24 ounces and I'm wondering the same thing - how do I get more in her during the day?  We were doing CFs in the evening with success (so I thought), but in the last week, she just won't take all those feeds.  So, we started trying a DF around 10pm and I don't know if I can do it.  It doesn't  seem to be making a difference, but we've only done it twice.  She still wakes at 3am and I'm getting very broken sleep.  She used to take good feeds during the night, but now they are just a couple of ounces.  Could it be habitual waking? How do I stop that?

Was wondering about a shorter feeding schedule during the day to get more calories in, but it seemed like I was going backwards.  I mean, aren't I supposed to be heading towards a 4 hr EASY?  Would love to know what others think!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 15:30:13 pm »
hi ladies,

been pondering this post, and i think it's really more of a feeding question, so i'm going to pop it over to the breastfeeding board for you.   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy