Author Topic: How do you make the best of it....  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How do you make the best of it....
« on: December 17, 2005, 15:13:15 pm »
when you are so unbelievable sleep deprived, it's an effort just to get up in the morning?  My DS has been a terrible napper since 3 months and since 6 months we've now been dealing with night wakings on top of everything and I am TIRED!  The boy does not sleep! :shock: 
I mean honestly ladies, I am so exhausted I find myself being cranky and irritable all day lately which makes me feel so sad because that's not the mommy I want to be.  I can't concentrate, I'm forgetful.   There are days when I am so tired I feel like all I do is just go through the motions like a zombie and it's not fair to my ds which makes me feel so guilty :cry: .  Other times I'm just a weepy mess and anything gets me going.  Like the other day, DS was so tired and cranky during breakfast (yes, that early) that he didn't even want to eat his cereal and I just bawled my eyes out because he wouldn't eat of all things! Yesterday I was staring into my son's beautiful little face and started sobbing at how tired he looks with dark circles around his eyes  :cry: .  My baby should not be this tired. I find myself snapping at DH for the littlest thing which isn't fair to him either.  We are all sleep deprived around here.
I try to tell myself that this too shall pass but they are so little for such a short time that I feel that his infancy is also passing me by in the meantime and I'm too tired to enjoy it to the fullest:( .
How do you ladies cope? This tired mommy would love to hear any advice or coping strategies you ladies can share. Maybe it will help others out there in similar situations.
Thanks!

Offline Gracie'sMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 15:53:39 pm »
any chance you can talk a friend/relative/neighbor into caring for your kiddo for an afternoon?  or trade babysitting with another mama?  A little nap -- or even just time away from the baby -- can do wonders.

Offline Matka

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:13:55 am »
I agree!  I'm fortunate to have my mom close by, so when I can't take it any more, he has a sleep over.  You won't believe what one good nights rest will do for you.  Yes, I still wake up every hour, but then you  realize, "Hey, I can go back to sleep"!  It's heaven sleeping in until 7:30!
I'll pray you have someone close by who can help you.  (((BIG HUGS)))!  We've all been (and still are) there.  Not a single book I read during my pregnancy prepared me for the total exhaustion you go through.
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:22:08 am »
I know that not being able to sleep is probably the worst part of being a Mommy. My DS also wakes at night,  but usually after 2 pm. So what has worked for us is for me to go to bed at around 7:30, and DH gives DS his after bath feed and his dream feed. Then DH goes to bed and I attend to DS at night. DH works full time so he needs a good night's sleep, and I can usually count on at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night. Then I can usually get another hour of sleep sometime between his first wake up at 2 and his "official" wake up time of 6:30. Hope this helps.

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 16:29:09 pm »
THanks for the advice, ladies.  You're right, the hardest part is the sleep deprivation.  I find I can cope with anything DS dishes out when I at least have a good night's sleep under my belt but that rarely occurs around here anymore. 
Gabrielle, my DS does the same thing as yours.  His wakings are usually after 1-2am and can go on forever until he finally crashes around 4-5am and is then up at 6:30.  Crazy isn't it?  I do try to go to bed super early once in a while but for some reason that 2-5am time has always been so crucial to my sleep.  If I don't sleep then, it's like I didn't sleep at all.  Unfortunately that seems to be DS's chosen party time!
My parents are only 20 min. away so I think DS will be doing some sleepovers pretty soon :) ! I know it will be nice to have a least one night of sleep every once in a while.
On a good note, he did sleep through last night.  First time in weeks!
Seems like just when you can't take another night bam, they give you a break.  I was still up at his usual times, out of habit but at least I could just go back to sleep :) .  Geez, it's like he's sleep trained me! :lol: