Author Topic: can't extend awake time  (Read 1149 times)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
can't extend awake time
« on: December 17, 2005, 19:29:49 pm »
ds is 8 months old (time FLIES) and can last 3 hours TOPS before bedtime. don't know if that's normal? thing is that sometimes he wakes up at 6, even 5:45, so naps get shifted up and that means he still needs that 3rd catnap  :evil:
any suggestions on how to extend his A time?
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
can't extend awake time
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 21:01:24 pm »
at 8 mo you could try sticking to set nap times so that even if he wakes early he goes down within 10 min or so of his usual nap times. by 8 mo many lo have established a rhythm for their naps if they ahve stuck close enough to these times for a while.  so if FOR EXAMPLE he usually naps around 9 and 1pm and one morning he wakes at 6 instead of 6:30 he might be fine coping with the extra A time (and i suggest keeping the extra 1/2 hr more low key than usual). this way he does not get left with a huge A time at the end of the day if he is not ready for it, but rather you spread that extra A time into his day.

an example of how set they can get comes from Liv last month - she usually naps around 9:30 and 1:30 and went to daycare in the mornig and took forever to go down for her nap and ended up sleeping from 10:15-11:45  :shock:  as i had never had to instruct them before with a wake up time.  so i was worried she woudl never go down for an afternoon nap. well, by 1:30 i could tell she would get to bed soon as she was already acting like she shoudl be in bed (ingrained in her biorhythm by now) and i quickly started getting her ready and got her to bed at 1:45 and she was fast asleep in 10 min with no fuss. I thought for sure she would not go down until closer to 3pm...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified