Author Topic: Please help - changing Feeding Routine  (Read 1159 times)

Offline millieh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 18, 2005, 10:38:30 am »
My BB is 9 wks old and is currently on the 3 hour BW routine, I want to know if it is too early to change him to the 4 hour routine, the reason for this is because when he feeds on the 3 hour routine, he loses interests after about 10 mins.  I try & keep him on for at least 15 mins.  He is not snacking because he last till the next feeding time. Can someone please give me some advice. :?

thanks

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Please help - changing Feeding Routine
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:22:55 pm »
Yes, I think he's too young to move to 4 hr feeding times.  And I suspect he's done at 10 min because he's just become more efficient!   :D He's at about that age - if he seems done after 10 min and can go 3 hrs, as long as he's gaining weight well and doing well otherwise, then that's probably all the time he needs to eat.  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:03:59 am »
I agree with Erin, he is probably efficient and it is too early to start him on a 4 hour routine. My dd went from 20 minutes to 5 minutes total at around 7-8 weeks.

Offline millieh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 17:02:01 pm »
thanks for this, when do you think is the ideal time to start on the 4 week routine? I want to introduce it to him before 16 wks.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 00:32:47 am »
Did you mean, when is the time to start the 4 HOUR routine?  Is there a particular reason why you want to start before 16 weeks?  Just so you know, a lot of bf babies have to have SHORTER cycles for longer.  I know the rule of thumb is 4 hours at 4 months, but I know my dd was only at 3 or 3.5 hrs a fair bit longer than that...
Erin

Offline millieh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 20:38:30 pm »
I am planning on going back to work just before my bb is 16 wks and I would like to try and establish the 4 hour routine in time for nursery.  By mid Jan my bb will partly be on formula. He was quite a big baby when he was born (9.6 pounds) and I think by 16 wks he will be ready for the 4 hour routine.  How can I introduce this to him gradually.  I tried working it by increasing he's feeds by 15 minutes each day, but then it works out that I get too close to the 7pm feed.  Do you have any ideas of how I can introduce this to him without causing a lot of disruption?

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 21:44:44 pm »
You might want to ask the EASY forum for scheduling ideas...  But some babies can manage to stretch longer in the morning, and start cluster feeding in the afternoon.
Erin