Author Topic: sep. anxiety?help!  (Read 1060 times)

Offline yyll35

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 18, 2005, 14:18:03 pm »
Hi, my baby is 9 months old and since my husband left for a trip 2 weeks ago my baby has not been sleeping through the night anymore.  My babysitter and I did get away from the PU/PD but are now back on track.  The problem is that he wakes up about 4 times screaming like he is really scared. When he wakes up, I only have to lay him down(he is sitting), cover him, and sit next to him and he will put himself back to sleep. I don't know whats going on or if I'm doing the right thing.  I don't want him to feel abandoned but I would also hate for this to be his new habit.  The babysitter did let him "cry it out" a few days and I told her not to anymore.  She had misunderstood when I told her not to pick him up at every whimper. He does not like to be in a room by himself and now that this is happening I can only think of sep. anxiety.  Any advise?

Offline thodder

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sep. anxiety?help!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 21:26:05 pm »
It really does sound like seperation anxiety, esp. if you just have to sit there until he falls asleep.  And the crying it out that you're sitter did likely didn't help.  I'm in the middle of the same thing, so you aren't alone.  The advice I get a lot is to just hang in there, give you LO lots of extra love and attention, esp. at bedtimes, and things will get better.  During the day, if he's screaming because he's afraid to be left alone, bring wherever you are going and let him play there - don't be a taxi, but let him know you are there and let him see you.  Also, don't forget about playing peek-a-boo.  Talking to other parents who have been through this, it really does help.

Theressa
--------
Theressa Hodder
Mom of Joshua, Spirited baby
Born May 6, 2005

Offline yyll35

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 21:40:04 pm »
thanks for the suggestions. I will continue to do them.  He is sooo clingy during the day too. Not as much with the babysitter.  We'll see. 
I replied to your original post.  Glad things are better with you.