Author Topic: Teething - what do I do?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Teething - what do I do?
« on: December 18, 2005, 20:08:18 pm »
Hi

I'm a first time mummy to my 3 month old DS and he seems to be suffering from sore gums at the moment ready for teething.  He goes to sleep independently at night and doesn't feed after his DF (11pm) until wake up at 6.30 - 7am.  Last night he woke at about 3am and I'm certain it was teething pains, the only thing that helped was sucking his hands but it wasn't quite enough and every time he almost settled he cried out in pain again.  I eventually gave him some Calpol and fed him at 4am and although he didn't take much he settled afterwards and went to sleep (doesn't fall asleep whilst feeding).  As these night wakings are new to me (besides waking for food in the earlier weeks) I'm not sure how to deal with them - do I just cuddle him, try to get him back to sleep with pat/shush which I use for his naps (seems brutal when I know he's only awake as he's in pain), feed him?  I don't want to get into bad habits by dealing with his teething which I know he'll experience on and off for a long time yet!

Thanks
Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Teething - what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:05:39 am »
if your lo is in pain than comfort him..that's the best advice i can give - if he's definately NOT hungry than don't feed him - that will create bad habits.  my lo was the same for a very long time and just cut her two bottom teeth this past week...from about three months had all the symptoms of teething and took three more months to actually get them through.  teeth will come up and go back down and in the beginning their gums are very itchy too..u may have a few bad days and then a few good days, so just go with it and follow your gut.  good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
Teething - what do I do?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 10:39:51 am »
Thanks for your reply - last night was bad again.  Not looking forward to more of this  :(

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
Teething - what do I do?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:58:23 am »
were the same... hes been doing it for 3 months and still no teeth :cry:
Think hes becoming a calpol adict tho!! :wink:
Alison

Offline Alibobs

• Showing Appreciation 91
Teething - what do I do?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 16:11:32 pm »
Same here. From about 10 weeks, we had everyone (including complete strangers in shops) saying 'Oh poor thing, she's teething already. Even the doctor, when she went for her 4 month immunisations, said that her eczma was due to teething. Well she finally cut her first tooth last week at almost nine months. Although we didn't notice til they actually came through and she bit me! She never complained when she cut them, but seemed to suffer on and off with the symptoms for 7 months. Weird!
Alison, mum to