Author Topic: first signs of tantrums or just showing assertiveness ?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Dina

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
first signs of tantrums or just showing assertiveness ?
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:46:59 am »
Or is this just his personality ( star sign ! Aries!)
Choo is almost 10 mths old and over the last 3 days or so has really started to show his frustration at certain things by screeching and screaming and doing this weird thing by arching his back in and out almost like his body-popping  :? ! At first I thought it was quite funy - but now I realise its his way of throwing a wobbly/tantrum !

He's far too young for a telling off and wouldn't understand it anyway, how do I overcome this and how do I lead him out of this behaviour before he gets accustumed to it.  He does this sometimes when he's woke up early in the morning when I go to greet him and pick him up and also when he's having his seat belt fastened in the car seat and when its time to wear the dreded snowsuit.

He had his first strop in a store yesterday - which He has never done before as he's used to me going in and out shops - he used to just watch everyone and eveything and sometimes have a nap - but yesterday he just wanted to be picked up and kept screaming - not crying - just this very loud annoying screeching sound !

I hope this is not the beginning of worser things to come !!!!
A Very Spirited Aries Boy
Born: 24th March 2005

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
first signs of tantrums or just showing assertiveness ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 16:15:58 pm »
I also have a 10 month old... and I just read an article about this, so I'll try to paraphrase.

They say that babies this age are not throwing tantrums, they're just not capable of trying to manipulate mom or dad this way yet.  Supposedly a child of this age gets his self-value from having his needs met.  And all wants are needs to them, as in needing to reach that toy, needing to get out of this carseat, etc. 

The only advice the article mentioned was to try and meet as many of their needs/wants as physically possible.  Obviously you can't get them out of a carseat while driving, etc., but help them reach something, pick them up, etc.  And supposedly they will grow out of this type of behavior, and then I supposed we're in for the true tantrum behavior!   :roll:  :wink: