Author Topic: No solids?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: December 19, 2005, 22:20:13 pm »
I was just wondering if it is ok to just give formula to my 6 .5 month old dd as she is not interested AT ALL in solids. Everytime I put some cereal, veggies or fruit she shuts her mouth completely. I started some at 4 months and refused so stopped then again at 5 and again at 6. Is it still enough just with formula? Till when? I am still keep trying everyday with solids but nearly have a teaspoon... she hates cereal, she made her vomit. Any ideas? She is having 26 oz of formula a day and sleeping the whole night. Thanks.

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
No solids?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 02:50:41 am »
Hi!  :D
She will do fine on formula.  I would continue though to try with the purees. At her age, I would probably try every couple of days.  Have you tried finger foods?  Zoe went to all finger foods really early as she just had no interest in purees.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
No solids?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:02:19 pm »
Hi

The requirement for solids after 6 months is because the supply of iron babies have naturally starts to deplete. It can take them a while to get the hang of solids, you just need to perserve and continue offering them everyday. Eventually she'll get the hang of it - then if she's anything like my DD once she's started she won't stop scoffing ;)

love
Marie

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
No solids?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 18:20:28 pm »
I agree with everyone that you have to stick with it.  Nutritionally, she doesn't need to eat much.  But developmentally, she needs to learn to move the food thru her mouth.  Also, I read an interesting article in the American Academy of Pediatrics that says that babies need to eat solids, and learn to chew for more reasons than just nutrition.  Chewing motions actually use the same muscles that babies later use for speech, and chewing warms them up for the task of talking.  It's also important because if they aren't chewing by 9 months or so, they can become lazy eaters and not want to chew at all.  My DD is giving me a hard time when I try to thicken her purees and oatmeal, but I'm hanging in there because I know she'll get it one of these days.