Author Topic: juice question  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Marrat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:27:52 am »
When can we start giving undiluted apple/grape juice?

thanks

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
juice question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 09:31:18 am »
At age 2 I still dilute it.
Too acidic for little teeth is my belief. 
A friend came over last week and she diluted the apple juice I gave them.

i'll be interested to hear what others say.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
juice question
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 10:24:17 am »
i still dilute ryans juice aswell.i agree with 15milner it is very acidic on the teeth.due to constipation problems ryan drinks a lot of juice so we felt it was better to dilute it.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
juice question
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 10:49:04 am »
I give undiluted orange juice to my 2 year old and have done for a few months now. I only give it along with breakfast as it is advised to give with meals as it helps with iron absorption - it is also better for the teeth to give at the same time as a meal.  The rest of her drinks are very diluted 'high juice' squash, water or milk.

Seona

Offline 15milner

juice question
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 13:21:55 pm »
Following on from this a bit I have been thinking about which kind of squash is better.

At home I fork out for the Rock's Organic as it tastes SO much better.  SO here's my question then.... which would you give? 

Organic squash - ingredients - water, organic sugar, organic whole oranges, citric acid, organic orange oil.  So no flavour additives / colours and preservatives

Or - a sugar free squash so as to protect teeth from sugar - but contains artificial sweetners, colours, preservatives.

Which is the 'less evil' no additive highly diluted pure sugar squash or no sugar squash with additives.

Alex

Offline Seona1973

juice question
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 19:16:21 pm »
I give 'high juice' squash which does have added sugar but has a higher amount of real fruit juice in it.  I think I would prefer to give well diluted sugar containing drinks rather than give artificial sweeteners which seem to have bad effects on some kids. At least you know where you are with sugar and as long as your lo has their teeth brushed twice a day you know their teeth will be ok too.

Seona

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
juice question
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 03:30:20 am »
I still dilute my 4 yo's juice (about 1/3 juice to 2/3 water).  I even started diluting my own a little bit once I had kids.  I'll continue until someone complains.  What is squash juice - literally juice from a squash?!?  Another question - I read that you give your babies tea as we do juice.  Is this true and how is it served?
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
juice question
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:35:36 am »
I'm in the minority then.  I haven't diluted Hunter's Juice for quite some time now.  He won't drink it diluted.  I also buy regular apple / other fruit juices.  I have spoken to a dentist though and he sees no problems with the acidity and his teeth.  He said that their teeth are as strong as they are likely to get, as long as you brush (or attempt to), he saw no prob.

HTH
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline 15milner

juice question
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 08:56:01 am »
Squash
I don't know what the equivalent term would be in the US - cordial?   A drink that you only drink diluted, comes in many many different flavours. 

Is that any help?

alex

Offline Seona1973

juice question
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 19:39:15 pm »
joslil, no I dont give my dd tea and dont know anyone who does really. It has caffeine and tannin (this affects iron absoption) and isnt very good for them.  I will let dd sip some of my tea if she wants but wouldnt go out of my way to make some for her.

Seona

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
juice question
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 01:05:30 am »
Alex - I don't know if cordial is the equivalent - it's usually an alcohoic thing...

In anawer to the post...right now I don't give juice - unless it's prune (1/2 and 1/2) when nature is NOT calling  :wink: - why mess with a good thing when she likes water...BUT that being said, I am sure I'll give her other  juice eventually - especially when I start weaning I think...and when I do I am sure I will dilute because I still drink diluted juices myself. I usually like water, but once in a while I will feel a water stike come on, and I feel like it's too many wasted calories/sugar, I drink it undiluted. It's probably just a old habit from my childhoog  :wink: