Author Topic: PU/PD for toddlers  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Ktdid

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 20, 2005, 19:37:24 pm »
Hi
I posted for the first time yesterday about my daughters sleep issues. I am new to the BW books and was formerly using CIO.  As of yesterday my plan was to stay in my dd's room until she slept for her nap (CIO had not worked and back rubs etc do not work).  But this backfired--she was back to her old antics of running in the crib and throwing her binky and dog out.  SHe is transitioning to one nap. But the one thing that has always worked these past few days is when I give in and pick her up and sway until she gets drowsy and can barely keep her lids open--then I lay her down and she snuggles up and goes to bed. Sometimes I had to do this a few times before she fell asleep.

Is this a version pf PU/PD or is this something I will regret doing later. So many people say DON'T take them out of the crib----but this is working....help!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
PU/PD for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 00:22:19 am »
You could become a prop for her.  Pu/pd at this age is more of just the pd part.  So you could reassure her, and then just continue to lay her down once she is calm.  My ds never really went for this though as he would just get more upset if I stayed in the room with him.  So I used the walk in/walk out.  I would put him down and leave, and then once I heard him getting upset I would go back in reassure him and leave again, and I would do this over and over again until he no longer became upset once I left.  I never waited for some predetermined time to go in, I just listened to him and went when I knew he needed me.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Ktdid

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 00:43:00 am »
What do you mean I would become a prop--like she would rely on me too much?  I wasn't sure....

She cries the minute I walk away--literally.  I cannot get through the door.  I used to do what you said--go back when she got upset and I would return her doggy and binky (which she would toss out) and after a couple times she went to sleep.  But at some point 3 weeks ago it went wrong and she never settled when I came back and it went on for over an hour. It got to be a crazy game :-(  It was going so well for so long. Ugh!

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
PU/PD for toddlers
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 16:49:01 pm »
By prop I mean that she would associate being held by you until groggy as her way of falling asleep.  How do you think she would be if you just sat in her room while she fell asleep, especially if you're suspecting seperation anxiety?  If you think she might be ok with it, you could do that and then gradually work your way out of her room over the course of a few nights.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Ktdid

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 00:16:25 am »
SHe throws everything out of her bed as part of the game if I stay in her room :-(

I have continued swaying with her but its taking less time and she seems to want to get in her crib and lay down before she gets too tired in my arms.  SO we will see...
Thanks for the help!