Author Topic: Dropping DF  (Read 909 times)

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
Dropping DF
« on: December 20, 2005, 20:40:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this is more a breastfeeding question or sleep or what...Jameson is now at 7.5 months, on 3 meals of solids each day and seems to be taking less at the 10:30 DF...so I thought it was probably time to start getting rid of the DF. How do I get him to get enough during the day?

Last week I started moving it to start to remove it. I'm afraid he is now not getting enough or something funky all together is going on. The last 4 nights he has woken at some time during the night and wakes for the day way too early (yesterday it was 4:30 today it was 5:15).

what have some of you done that helped drop the DF?
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Dropping DF
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 22:30:57 pm »
I think Tracy says to dreamfeed until about 8 month (someone correct me if i'm wrong)  and actually 8 months is when DS dropped it naturally.
Heres what I did.

I started moving the time of the dreamfeed earlier by about 5-10 mins every few days.  I wanted to see what impact that had on the wake time.  I was doing the DF at 10.30 so i moved it to 10.20 and he still woke up the same time in the morning.  a week later it went to 10.10 and still the same wake up (ie he was able to go for longer without feeding and wasn't waking hungry).  By the time I was happy with the DF at about 9.50 I didn't want to do any earlier as bedtime was at 7.30.

One night we had been lucky enough to go out and I simply couldn't be bothered to df.  He woke at 2am instead (so I learnt that he wasn't ready to give up the DF)

A couple of weeks later I tried again and he didn't wake - been like that ever since.  i took my cues from him, i figured that if he was hungry he's wake up. 

HTH

alex

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
Dropping DF
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 23:08:40 pm »
Thanks! That helps. I honestly wasn't sure if his waking was because I messed with the DF or other things that are going on. The book actually says between 7-8 months. So I was thinking he was right on track but we might be a bit early.

So once you were at 9:50 and he woke, did you stay at that time until it was dropped completely or did you go back to the 10:30?
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!