Author Topic: putting him back to sleep.  (Read 831 times)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
putting him back to sleep.
« on: December 20, 2005, 21:19:41 pm »
With an almost three month old who wakes after 30 or 45 minutes, should I put him right back to sleep, or take him out from 20 min? Sometimes it seems he needs a break from being put to bed!

Also, if he woke up mid-cycle, and falls asleep easily again, does the sleep cycle start over? Like, if the jolt wakes him up, and he takes 5 min to go back to sleep, is he now in a deep sleep, or starting over, with a jolt in another ten?

thanks, guys. One day you will stop hearing from me about nap lengths and sleep questions. Sometimes I do believe that day will come.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 06:48:02 am »
HI Rafaella.

Yes the day will come, some day for sure!  Hang in there until then.   :)

If you are not trying to extend the short nap, or have not had success extending it, then take him out for light activity and feed if he's due for one, and then put back to bed after a shorter A time.  For example if I had not been able to extend Taylor's nap, I would do a really light activity, then feed and diaper and back to bed to avoid her getting overtired from a regular amount of A time on top of a short nap.  It usually worked really well for us.

Also, in regards for the sleep cycle question, to answer it properly I would really have to know at what point he is waking up in it.  But what you can kind of expect is a jolt at 5, 10 and 20 minutes (which usually is a big jolt).  After that should be deep sleep.  A good way to tell if he is in deep sleep is when the breathing becomes slow and steady as opposed to short and shallow.  You also will not see the eyelids move at all.

And actually come to think of it, I can remember Taylor getting stuck at the 20 minute jolt quite a few times and if I wasn't there to help her get past it, she would come to a full awakening, and then the sleep cycle would start all over  :roll:   But on the good days even if she would come to a partial wakening at the 20 minute jolt and be "awake" for a couple of minutes, she would then go into deep sleep.

:arrow: That is why for me the true test was always the breating test!  I would usually always have to put my hand on her back and watch her eyelids to know for sure that she had made it.

I hope that helps and hasn't confused you!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 20:44:54 pm »
this helped. thanks.
My boys: