Author Topic: waking in the night  (Read 1109 times)

Offline mum1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 21, 2005, 15:36:11 pm »
Hi

I am new to the site and as a first time mum find it brilliant. My ds is 20 wks old on Saturday and he has 4 8oz bottles a day between 8/8.30 - 8.30/9ish. I have tried introducing some solids but not sure whether i should be cutting down on his formula?
Anyway ds doesn't sleep much during the day maybe 10/15 mins 3 times a day by the last feed at 8.30/9pm, which has babyrice in he falls asleep in my arms during his last bit of feed. I take him up to bed where he sleeps for maybe 1 hour if i'm lucky then i have to put in the dummy, once that's in i can go, but then during the niht he wakes on and off about 4/5 times just to put dummy back, from about 6ish he will settle till about 8pm. I know this is not as bad as some but i would love to not have to get up in the night at all ( would'nt we all,!!)  Is there any hope? anyone got any suggestions or tips?

Thanks  mum1

p.s. i'm totally new to it all and find motherhood very confusing regarding solids and formulas.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
waking in the night
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 05:06:18 am »
At 20 weeks solids can cause more waking not less as thier little digestive systems aren't ready.

I think your lo is way overtired if he is only getting 3 x 10-15mins over a 12 hour period... my almost 7mo gets 2 x 1.5 hours + 1 x 30 -60min sleep between 7.30am & 7.30pm.

A baby that doesn't get much day sleep is over tired & sleeps badly at night... you should be having about 1.5-2 hours of awake time before the first nap & between naps during the day & ideally they should be about 1.5-2hours long at 20 weeks.

The dummy may also be a problem if he wakes up when it falls out.

Also at this age he probably needs a feed (or 2) during the night... most babies under 6months don't usually go 12 hours between feeds.

Hope that helps
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05