Author Topic: Too dependent on me?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline cproudfoot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 21, 2005, 17:03:56 pm »
I am worried now that I have done some serious accidental parenting in that my 6 month old is not rolling over or playing too much on her own.  She can sit-up very well on her own, and will amuse herself for a few minutes with her toys, but because she always prefers to be sitting she gets frustrated quickly because she can only play with the toys that she can reach in sitting.  So, I end up sitting near her and playing with her and her toys.

I also think I made the mistake of showing her Baby Einstein videos too early that now that is her prefered mode of play.  I try to limit this to no more then 2x a day.

Any advice on how I can help her play more on her own so that the pending age of seperation anxiety won't be too bad and so she can learn to roll over and eventually crawl?

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Re: Too dependent on me?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 07:44:31 am »
Quote from: cproudfoot
I am worried now that I have done some serious accidental parenting in that my 6 month old is not rolling over or playing too much on her own.

Please don't be worried about accidental parenting.  A lot of it just comes down to each child's personality and their own personal skill level and how much they need you.  I would start by setting aside time a few times a day where you do actively work on rolling over skills and tummy time - get down with her and make it fun with different toys etc.  With rolling you can cross one leg over the other and show her where to put her arm and it just gets her used to how to use her muscles.  Personally I wouldn't rely on the TV at all, it's not to say you can't put on a DVD occasionally, but I wouldn't build it in a planned activity time ifkwim? 

As far as playing on her own, work with what she's comfortable with.  If she's happy, let her know you're going to do something and that you'll be right back, and do come back quite quickly - ie before she starts to grizzle and wonder where you are.  Then you can gradually build up the amount of time you're away from her.  But honestly, what I've usually done is have my kids play on the floor near me even if I'm not right down with them, they can see me, I can talk to them etc, but also be busy doing what I need to and pop out of the room as needed.  I carry my dd around the house as I go about chores etc. 

Play peek-a-boo games to build up confidence that when you go that you will come back.

As well as moving her to different locations in the house (it sounds like she may be getting bored because she can't move), is to circulate her toys for her say every 10mins, but maybe play with her for 10mins, then change location and have her play by herself but with you nearby, then maybe play in her room together while you put away clothes, change sheets etc.

HTH :)

Offline cproudfoot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 16:17:10 pm »
Nikki,

Thanks for the advice.  You have some great suggestions here that I will definitely use.

Will let you know how it goes....

Cate