Author Topic: Quorn  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
Quorn
« on: December 21, 2005, 19:40:17 pm »
Does anyone know if it's ok to give my dd quorn? We tend to eat a lot of things made with it, and I do try to give her the same food if we eat together. I assume it will be ok as its only a vegetable protein right? I don't remember seeing anything saying not to give it, but just thought I'd check.

Thanks
Alison, mum to

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
Quorn
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 19:48:44 pm »
I don't know how old your dd is - I introduced quorn from about 1 year - both mine loveit, and for vegetarians its a great way to introduce some variety - also means you can start looking at all those meat based recipes and just substitute.

One word of caution - one of the great things about quorn for adults is that it is filling but low in calories - obviously for little ones that isn't ideal, so just use it in moderation.
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
Quorn
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 19:53:33 pm »
Harvey and I eat a lot of Quorn products too, and he has never had any problem with them, they are high protein, which is no bad thing for a child, but like the previous poster has said, everything in moderation :D

Here's a link to the Vegetarian Society that gives some useful info;

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/infant.html

HTH :D
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline jenni

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Quorn
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 21:16:13 pm »
one thing to remember with quorn is that it is a mushroom-type substance (fungus if you really want the word!).  so I would be careful introducing this too early - most books seem to recommend staying off mushrooms until about 1 year - but as you don't state the age, it may not apply to you.

there are some bad reports out there about quorn - but the percentage is extremely low, and a lo is just as likely to be allergic to something else!

Jenni

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
Quorn
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 21:31:55 pm »
It also contains egg whites, so you should hold off until you've introduced those.

Lilah likes Quorn and I love it.  It's pretty high in sodium, so I don't offer it often (plus the cost is prohibitive, at least here in the U.S.), but once in awhile it's a great, easy protein source.  We're vegetarian, so I'm always on the lookout for easy protein sources.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Alibobs

• Showing Appreciation 91
Quorn
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 09:47:16 am »
My dd is 9 months, so I guess I should wait a while before trying her with it. We aren't vegetarians but we don't eat a lot of meat, and I'm trying to give dd the food that we eat when we're together, rather than making her something different, as she generally ends up taking our food anyway! I haven't had all my brakfast for a long time as dd grabs at my toast every morning!

Thanks for all your help.
Alison, mum to