Author Topic: Hope for us all!  (Read 1138 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Hope for us all!
« on: December 21, 2005, 19:57:52 pm »
What a difference a day makes - see yesterday's post 'Help - Feeling very depressed!' ...  I did what was suggested and didn't go in to try and Wake to Sleep and he had one 2 hour nap, 1 1.5 hour nap, 1 40 minute nap (had to be one somewhere!) and a 25 minute catnap.  So it seems he's learning to extend those naps all by himself - Happy Christmas to me!  The other thing he did differently today was scream his heart out everytime I swaddled him and lay him down for his nap.  I spent between 5 and 20 minutes doing pat/shush and PU/PD but this wasn't bad at all.  Because his third nap was short he went to bed at 6.30pm so I dread to think when he'll wake in the morning, but bedtime was good.  He cried like he did at nap times but I didn't jump right in and he was stopping and trying to settle himself but couldn't quite do it.  A tiny bit of pat/shush got him off to sleep.  I didn't do a dreamfeed last night and he slept until 6.45am - very strange but I'll try the same again tonight.  Maybe I was disrupting his sleep too much.

Like I say, there is hope for us all that these dreaded short naps aren't forever.  I hope he does the same tomorrow!

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Hope for us all!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 20:35:08 pm »
Kelly - i am so glad that it worked!! he was telling you to let him try and you listened.  don't get frustrated if he still needs help some of the time - he is learning.

and we always had 1 x 45 min nap almost every day no matter what. i think as long as sme naps are longer they do find their rhythm of how much sleep they need from 3-6mo onwards.

Happy Christmas to you!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Hope for us all!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:18:33 pm »
Happy Christmas :D

Well done to you and bubba! Don't get disheartened if there's some regression, there usually is. If you ride it out, you could be on the home straight :D  (until the weaning, solids, teething, crawling,........... :wink: )
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
Hope for us all!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 14:28:17 pm »
Happy Christmas to you too.

You were right about the regression - we've even had 20 minute naps today!  I'm feeling relaxed about it anyway as I know he can do it and will do it more consistently when he's ready.

Thanks
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline FreddieEden

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hope for us all!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 16:47:17 pm »
Pleased you  had a good day anyway.  We have had loads of success this week, huge long naps and 12 to 13 hours at night.  But we have all had colds and Daniel has come down with it today so don't know how much of it is related to him being ill or about to be ill.  He doesn't really seem to mind having a cold, bless him, just snuffles and sleeps a lot.  I am glad he is able to get the sleep that he needs to get over it.  I met up with my antenatal class earlier this week and that made me realise what a great job we are all doing - they thought 45 minutes was a really long time for a nap.  I guess that having the kind of baby who lets you know if he hasn't had enough sleep concentrates the mind quite a bit but, even so, I think everyone who posts on this board is doing really well compared to most people.

Happy Christmas!
Freddie