Author Topic: Mastitis  (Read 847 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Mastitis
« on: December 22, 2005, 22:53:11 pm »
My lo is 5 months old and I just got mastitis.  The dr. perscribed an antibiotic and assured me that it would be ok.  He did say that some will get to my breastmilk but "i'm between a rock and a hard place" (his words)  Anyone else ever have mastitis this late in the nursing game?  Also, is there any other way to get rid of it or just the pills? 

My lo is still nursing and it doesn't seem to bother him, so I havent' stopped.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Jodie
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Daniel's mummy

Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 22:55:19 pm »
Can't really help as I got it when lo was 2 weeks old.  I know it was painful though  :roll:  so hugs to you.

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Mastitis
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 23:02:14 pm »
I had plugged ducts a couple times and the best advice I recieved was NURSE, NURSE, NURSE - forget the schedule for a day and just nurse as  often and both sides as your LO will let you. This is really the best cure for it, along with anitbodies- though it may be painful it will help!!!!
Also -my LaLeche League leader told me that if an antibody was perscribed that woudn't allow me to nurse to call her and she had a list of good safe ones to ask the dr to perscribe instead.
Call and ask if you aren't sure about it........

HUGS to you too - I know it is painful!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Mastitis
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 23:08:31 pm »
I too had it early on, but definitely take the antibiotic if it's been approved as safe by your doctor.  It's the best way to fully get rid of it.  If you don't get it completely out of your system, it WILL come back and that's the last thing that you want.  It will just come back worse and can get very serious very quickly.  My LC also said to pump for a few days if you need to due to pain, but if you don't, keep nursing!  Hang in there!