Author Topic: Any Ideas for Milk in a Sippy?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Any Ideas for Milk in a Sippy?
« on: December 23, 2005, 04:16:07 am »
My kiddo (12 mos) used to drink 3 bottles a day, 6-7 oz.  Since he hit that one year mark, I tried to drop a bottle, and offer milk in his sippy at mealtimes.  He has always been eager about water in a sippy cup, but COMPLETELY refuses to drink milk in it.  (Takes a sip, realizes it's milk, disgusted face, throws the cup across the room, KWIM?    :roll: ) 

This means he usually only drinks 12 oz of milk a day now.  Should I keep trying with the milk in the cup, or should I bring back the mid-day bottle?  Anyone been there, done that?  Thanks!
Sheila
ng

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 04:37:53 am »
I personally wouldn't bring back the bottle. Is he drinking 12oz soley out of a sippy?  If so, with that much resistance to it, I would think you would see that increase within a week or two  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 04:38:49 am »
Just thought too....if you haven't tried a straw cup, you could do that.  Then he would associate milk with a new "type" of cup/bottle.  :D

Offline NKmommy

• AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 04:44:28 am »
Thanks so much, Noelle.  I guess I should just stick it out.  No, he is getting his 12 oz of milk divided between the am and pm bottles.  He won't drink any milk out of a sippy. 

He does use a straw sippy cup to drink water throughout the day, but I am using a spout sippy for the milk.  Maybe I should try a straw sippy for the milk too?  Hmmmm
Sheila
ng

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 04:49:34 am »
Definitely worth a try  :D   I would keep the AM and PM bottle though until you see about a 2-4 ounce progress per meal in the sippy/straw cup  :D

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 18:16:14 pm »
Just a thought, but he doesn't have to drink tons of milk if he's getting his protein and calcium from other dairy sources such as cheese and yogurt.  You can boost the nutrition of yogurt by adding soft tofu to it, or non-fat dry powdered milk.  That adds calcium and the tofu adds fat and protein.  I wouldn't give him more bottles though, just give him more foods with calcium in it and try everyone's suggestions about how to get him to take milk from a cup.HTH

Offline NKmommy

• AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 05:55:46 am »
Thanks so much for your help!  I stuck it out, and he actually drank a couple swallows of milk from the cup today (hoorah!).  Hopefully within the next couple weeks, he will become more open-minded about his cup.   :wink:   Oh, and great point about the other sources of calcium!  He has a yogurt almost every day, so I feel much better.
Sheila
ng