Author Topic: Any veg/fruits I should steer clear of?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Any veg/fruits I should steer clear of?
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:57:59 am »
Hi there,

My ds is nearly 5 months and has taken brilliantly to solids in preparation for starting child care at 6 months. I am breastfeeding and use that as his primary nutrition, with his solid meal at night before his bath. He has a huge appetite and will eat probably 3/4 cup solids, followed by top-up bf 1 hour later prior to bed.

His repertoire is slowly expanding, and we have successfully introduced rice cereal (yuck) and oatmeal (yum) mixed with any of the following: pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, apple, pear, banana (his favourite), prunes.

I am keen to introduce him to other non-acidic fruits, like honeydew and rockmelon (as we call them here in Oz). Are there any no-nos at this stage?

And when can I introduce meats/cheeses/tomatoes, etc?

Thanks!
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 18:42:18 pm »
No no's at this age would be orange, lemon, or other citrus fruits.  Tomato fits into the citrus category as a high allergen, so I would wait until at least 9 months.  Also, broccoli (it can be hard to digest this young). Melon can cause allergy as well, so keep an eye out.  Peaches are always a treat, you could do carrots, squash, mango, green beans, peas.  I would steer clear of proteins till 7-9 months.  Whole grain cereals that you make yourself can be introduced after 6 months.  You could do barley cereal now.  Yogurt after 6 months, make sure it's whole milk with active cultures.  I was in a huge rush to introduce all the foods that I eat too, but let your little one adjust to eating solids for a while before introducing the big stuff.  The longer you wait to introduce high allergen foods, the less likely an allergy is to develop.  And once you've introduced a good amount of foods, vary the texture of them.  You'll use up some time getting her adjust to the new textures too.  By the time you realize it, she'll be eating off your plate!  LOL.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 18:45:17 pm »
Oops, I'm sorry, I called Tyler a SHE, he's a HE.  My mistake. :D

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 18:45:35 pm »
Tyson.  Oh crap, I need some sleep.